Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

Search

Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

What is the difference between these two tours?

Hahvahd - 70 Minutes
harvardtour.com/tours/…

Guided Historical Tour - 60 minutes
http://www.harvard.edu/visitors/tours/

It looks like the first one is ten minutes longer and a $10 fee and registration is required. The second is no fee and registration is not required. That is OK with me if it is better that the second.

Would you go to the first or the second???
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
yk

I have taken both tours within a few months apart back in 2009. They're pretty much identical: both led by Harvard students, both cover pretty much the same sights, both give the same history.

When I took them in 2009, the "Hahvahd" tour did not require registration and there was no mention of "fee," however, we were pretty much "required" to pay the guide $10 at the end of the tour.

The official Harvard tour is organized by the university, so the guide is happy to accept tips at the end but it isn't mandatory.

Anyway, as I said, I thought both were pretty much identical when I took them, so just take whichever one that suits you best.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 07:51 PM

I am pondering whether to take the MIT or MITT tour. On the surface they seem so different.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Great Question!

The Hahvahd Tour is a scripted tour delivered by Harvard Undergrads like a show, or mobile-theater. The New York Times called the tour "the Daily Show" of college campus tours. National Public Radio called the tour "The Real Deal."

It is true that you can reserve your space on the tour online: http://www.harvardtour.com/tours/pub...c-hahvahd-tour

However, you can also just show up on the day of the tour and jump on. The tour does not cost anything to join, guests are asked to pay at the end of the tour what they think the experience is worth. The guides suggest $10/person. The fee is not mandatory. Tours run 7 days a week from March 1 - Nov 1 INCLUDING holidays.

The University's Guided historical tour is a solid experience, but certainly different. The tours are mostly led by a student organization called the Crimson Key Society. Each tour guides creates their own tour based loosely on a general tour online. Thus, the tours can be different from tour to tour.

You cannot reserve your space in advance, but you can just show up on the days the tours are running. Make sure you check the schedule in advance tours do not run on holiday's, Sundays and some weeks in the summertime.

If you have any questions about tours or Harvard, feel free to send us an email anytime at [email protected]!

Hahvahd Tour Customer Service Team