Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Play del Carmen area- best restaurant???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends are going to Paraiso la Bonita and we want to get thema special gift- possibly a gift certificate for an outstanding restaurant in town. Any ideas?
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 03:51 AM

Most definitely Yaxche.

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 05:43 AM

We really love Babes. It isn't upscale, but is great food. They probably don't even do gift certificates. Their Mojitos are the best!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Oscar y Llallos (sp?) around Solimon Bay was our favorite dinner. Such a beautiful spot, and great seafood.
Yaxche was fine, but I was expecting better. It is no Las Habichuela (in Cancun), that's for sure!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:45 AM

I agree that Yaxche would be the most obvious choice in this category. Nice, too, that you get Mayan cuisine (or at least a version of it), and therefore something from this region, as opposed to something that can be found elsewhere. Another added bonus is that it's 1 of only 3-4 restaurants in the entire area (and that's _including_ resort restaurants, folks!) that have passed the government's strict hygiene program involving months or even years of personnel training, visits, inspections and the like. (This is very difficult to do around here if only because you can't even keep key staff in place for the length of time the program requires.)

There are lots of good places, though. Blue Lobster on 12th is another one that has received the "distinctiivo H" from the same program. Alux (aka "the cave restaurant&quot gives you quite the unique atmosphere and apparently the food itself has improved quite a lot since they first opened. Lots of people like stopping in at Palapa Hemingway's, and there are steak houses and sushi and Da Gabi has just reopened with a nice, new atmosphere. The world is your oyster around here!

Steve
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:50 AM

I was remiss in not mentioning some of the great little local taco places with the plastic chairs and the ceiling fans and the delightful little grilled onions (cebollas cambray) farther out of the tourist zone! For the money many would argue these would be in the running for the best restaurants! El Fogon on 30th Ave would be a good example of this.

Steve
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:18 AM

You guys are making me hungry.
I love Yaxche too.