Planning stages for CR Trip

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning stages for CR Trip

Hi there! We are hoping someone can help us figure out the best places for us to visit in Costa Rica. My husband has COPD & can't do a lot of walking so stairs/hiking are pretty much out, but we love wild life, and want very much to see this beautiful place while we can. Thanks in advance! Kat
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM

I'm a little short on ideas (Costa Rica is such an ACTIVE place), but one thing that does come to mind is the Arenal area. The Cano Negro tour (slow boat ride) will show you tons of wildlife and is one of the best deals in the entire country. Aside from that, there are wonderful hot thermal springs to enjoy as well as volcano and lava viewing (if the clouds cooperate).

Another area of the country that depends largely on water travel (and very little walking/hiking/climbing) is Tortuguero. This is a gorgeous area of the country in the Caribbean lowlands, not unlike the Cano Negro trip, but definitely a different area of the country with a different climate and feel. Also tons of wildlife. I'd suggest looking into a couple or 3 days with Modesto and Fran Watson and the Riverboat Francesca tour. You can google that.

Hope this helps a bit. Oh, by the way, you might also enjoy an area called San Gerardo de Dota. It's up in the cloud forest south of San Jose. There is a hotel called Hotel Savegre de la Montana. Gorgeous place that offers lots of hiking and birding and waterfalls, BUT the fun part is that you can just enjoy the main area, flat and level around the dining room/reception where there are all kinds of birds and hummingbirds providing constant entertainment. Lovely cool (even chilly--it's in the highlands) climate, family owned. . this is a great place to relax for a couple of days. They will provide transportation for you out of San Jose.

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac,you are an angel! We plan to go in late March or early April,is that a good time? I've ordered Fodor's Costa Rica Travel Guide. Not real sure that's the best book to study. Thanks so much for your input! Kat
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM

You mentioned that your husband has COPD. How will he react to the heat or humidity? Moreover there are parts of CR that are high in altitude which also might impact him.

Arenal/La Fortuna as your home base makes sense to me.

If your husband prefers dry heat, you might also like Guanacaste.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dariow. His breathing was much better in the North Carolina mountains last year. We live on the humid SE TX coast. Hard on him, but necessary for his elderly parents. That's two votes for Arenal. He's still in good shape so we need to travel while we can. We'll look at La Fortuna and Guanacaste. I'm getting so excited.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Another vote for Arenal area. Along with the Cano Negro trip there are other floats, horseback riding, hot springs (if that's of interest). If you position yourself in a place where you can just watch the world go by in CR, that's pretty awesome in itself.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Another idea for the Arenal area would be the tram ride up and down with Sky Trek. He might be able to do at least some of the Hanging Bridges. At least go up to the parking area and enjoy the view if it is a clear day.

San Gerardo de Dota could be a stretch with COPD. It is at a 7,000 ft elevation. My experiences there have required up and down hill walking and hiking. It just depends on how bad your husband is. There is no hurry for anything in Costa Rica so he might be able to do a good bit just by going at his own pace. Sometimes just taking a day to aclimate helps. If you got to San Gerardo de Dota by early afternoon one day he might be ready to do some walking around by the next morning.

Even though I quit smoking years ago I have a mild bit of COPD. A lot of that is due as well to allergies to many medicines I am taking. I still mangage to do just about everything I want in CR. I just do it at my pace. I even did a 12 mile hike up to a tent camp in the High Sierras in California 2 years ago. I am looking forward to getting at least part way up Chirripo in a few weeks.

As far as guide books go, I would look at several for the full picture. I have yet to find one that has it all. Buy the one that fits your interests the most. I have 3 current books and use all three even after 15 years of traveling down there.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great, and I figure we can look into what can be seen on tours, if he does give out. Thanks so much! Kat
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Here is a good place to check out all the tours available in Arenal, including the cano negro and sky trek

http://www.arenal.net/arenal-volcano-tour.htm

Does he like fishing or Kayaking? The Golfo Dulce is within the OSA peninsula which has 0.6% of the worlds bio-diversity. you can take boating tours and kayak tours on the calm waters of the gulf, or go in-shore/ off-shore fishing.

I suggest Crocodile Bay Lodge or Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge. There is a cool wildlife refuge there too.

Quepos has sailfishing. It is on the Central Pacific Coast.

http://www.anywherecostarica.com/que...ica/travel.htm
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

That's great info! We're going to sit down and check it out as soon as we get some time together this week end. Thanks so much for all your help. Kat