Search

Peru Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru Honeymoon

My future husband and I are thinking about a 2 week vacation in Peru in July. Neither of us have been to South America before, so are very excited! We havnt bought tickets yet, and have just been perusing suggested itineraries. I would love to see a Sloth if at all possible, if that pushes me towards a region? But we don't want to be travelling too much.We'd like to have it be a leisurley vacation and not just exhausting ourselves. Machu Picchu, yes. Arequipas we hear is cool.....anywhere else that's a charming town? I dont think we have time to take an amazon tour?

Us: we are in our late 20's, like art, history and charm, are not night life people, require good food, and clean linens...nothing fancy. We prefer cute hotels vs. expensive chains. oh, and sloths! I really want to see one, not in a zoo.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Hi cruzan,

I haven't been to Peru yet (just starting to do research for a trip later this year...).

I have seen several sloths in the wild (in Costa Rica). They are indeed cute! As far as I know, you would have to visit a rain forest ecosystem in order to see one.

Manu National Park is in the southern part of Peru (along with MP and Arequipa). Maybe you could fit a few days at a jungle lodge into your itinerary? You'd hopefully get to see other cool critters as well (monkeys, macaws, caimen...). I'm a huge fan of viewing wildlife in it's natural habitat!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM

What kind of sloth would you like to see? the 2 or the 3 toe? there are quite more 2 toe sloths in the south (Manu) and almost none in the north jungle (Iquitos area). Both are cute but I think the 3 toe are better featured. I had the chance to see more than 10 in Pacaya Samiria (check it out).
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM

I never saw a sloth in Peru, but plenty in Costa Rica. Taca airlines flies between the 2, so in 2 weeks, why don't you split your trip?

I would suggest the 1 week in Peru to concentrate around Cusco/Sacred Valley/Machi Picchu, and 1 week around Manual Antonio and the Volcano area.

I did not go to Amazon area of Peru-so I don't know if there are sloths there.

Do not miss the Peru portion though, it is Amazing!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Wondering if Manu National Park has interesting species....

Also, cute towns anyone? If we are there 10 days should we just do lima, cusco, MP, sacred valley?