Search

Peru - April 24 to May 4

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru - April 24 to May 4

I just booked tickets (using miles, thank you!) for my parents and I to go to Peru next spring. I have a tentative itinerary I want to run past you all for feasibility and to see if I'm really missing out on something special.

Arrive Lima - April 24 early early early

April 24 - 27 - Lima
We want to se the cathedral and museums. I think we are going to stay at the Marriott as we have family that can get us a discount there.

April 27 - 29 - Cusco
We want to see Cathedral and museums in Cusco, the market in Pisaq and some of the ruins that are local to this area. No hotel selected.

April 30 - Ollantaytamba
No hotel selected.

May 1 - 2 Machu Picchu
Spend the night in Aguas Calientes. No hotel selected.

May 3 - Return to Lima, stay at Marriot again.

May 4 - Depart for US on late late flight. We would have most of the day in Lima to sight see more or just rest.

Is Lan Peru the best airline to take us to Cusco? Do they have a good reputation?

Where would we benefit the most by having a guide? My dad especially is a big history buff and I know would love to learn as much as possible about the sites. (We all speak fluent Spanish if that makes a difference.)

Thanks for your advice!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Yes, Lan Peru is probably best for flights to Cusco.

A guide would be helpful in Cusco, Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu, though it isn't necessary for any of them.

I felt that the guides at Machu Pichhu all told different and conflicting things about the ruins. I suspect this is because no one is sure what each of the buildings was used for.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We flew several different airlines on our internal flights wihtin Peru and prefered LanPeru. We used a guide for portions of our trip and found that it greatly enriched the experience. I can recommend David Choque--he was great. He did not accompany us to MP, but rather arranged for another guide to meet us there. You may reach David at [email protected].
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM

If it were me, I would do 2 days max in Lima at the end of your trip and base myself in Cusco. You can do various day day trips from Cusco including Ollantaytamba (unless you want to spend the spend the night there). Cusco is much safer and nicer than Lima and there's more to do.

LAN Peru is a good reputable airline.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. The reason I was putting us in Ollanta for one day is that I thought it would make it easier to get to Macchu Pichu the next day and cut down on travel time.

I have read many good things about David as a guide. Do you just email him your itinerary and he provides suggestions and prices?
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, I emailed David with the dates and what plans we already had. He will email you back with prices. We had already booked our hotels, but he can do that for you too. He also got us our train tixs to MP. After hearing back from him I then asked him to make suggestions for some other places to visit and he did that. At some point he phoned us to chat a bit about out preferences, ages, abilities and stuff like that. I cant speak highly enough about him.

I loved Ollantaytambo and if you can spend time there I would...not just a day trip from Cusco. We had the same logic u used with staying there and taking the train to MP instead of the longer ride from Cusco. Worked out great for us. I do agree that you don't need so much time in Lima. I would take away days from Lima and add them to the Scared Valley.

Be glad to answer any other questions you have.