Peru and Bolivia

Feb 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Peru and Bolivia

Hi,
We are planning a trip of three and half weeks to Peru and Bolivia in September. We are a family of 2 grown up children(15 and 22) who will drag the old folks around(57and 60). We are unspoiled backpacker type travelers and have holidayed through parts of Asia in the last few (30) years. We will fly into Lima and fly out of La Paz. In Peru the places we are planning on visiting are Paracas, Ica, Arequipa and Colca canyon, Cusco and its surroundings and Lake Titicaca. From here to La Paz and then to the salt flats near Uyuni. Back to La Paz and home. I would appreciate advice as to any other places we should visit and the best route we should take to fit it all in. We would prefer to fly or train when possible as apposed to very long bus trips. All information both detailed and general would be gladly received.
Thank you in advance, Brian

Feb 14th, 2008, 08:21 AM

We did the Bolivia part in July 06 . . . we're just a step up from backpackers ourselves.

I have a very detailed travelog that I typed up and would be happy to send to you. If interested, please email me at [email protected].

We have also done the Peru trip but it was too long ago to be of any value.

Buen viaje,
Sandy (in Denton)
Feb 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM

U.S. citizens? Remember that you'll need advance visas for Bolivia. That's an extra $450 to shell out for a family of four.
Feb 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Sandy,
I have your trip report and am finally getting to Bolivia in about three weeks. I am doing Peru & Bolivia.
Does anyone know if I can get the visa at the border town of Puno, Peru? I don't think I have enough time to send my passport to DC and get it back in time for me to leave. Thanks for any other info.
producerkoof
Feb 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM

If it were me, I'd call the Bolivian embassy in Washington and ask if it's possible to get a visa on the road in Puno. Or ask if there's time to get the visa through their embassy. Just Google BOLIVIA and EMBASSY and you'll get the phone number.
Feb 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM

If you've been researching on this board, you may have already run across my recent trip report to Peru. If not, type Karen and Julie and the search box and it should come up. We only had a week and a half, so we spent 2 nights in the Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo), 1 in Aquas Caliente (for Machu Picchu), 2 in Cusco, and 3 at Lake Titicaca (1 an overnight homestay on Amantani). I think you and your kids would love all the things we did. I'd especially recommend the homestay for them - it was really fun. From Puno, we flew back to Lima and home, but if we'd had more time, would have loved to extend the trip to some of the spots you're planning to visit. Would try to arrange the itinerary so you can adjust to the altitude somewhat gradually. For us, spending the first two nights in Ollanta rather than Cusco was definitely better. And the altitude at Puno was a bit much for me - didn't get sick or anything, but was easily winded. If you check my report, you'll see hotel recommendations at the lower end of the range of what's generally recommended here.
Regarding the trip to Puno, if you're leaving from Cusco, would strongly recommend the bus trip (we went with Inka Express and were quite happy). Unlike the train, you get several stops along the way to help pass the time - and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Usually I'm not patient with long bus trips, but this one was well worth it. Daughter and I both loved that day.
You didn't specifically mention Machu Picchu, but I assume you won't miss that (don't!). If you decide to stay in Ollanta, the train ride is much shorter from there (and cheaper, too).
Best of luck!
Karen