Peace Lodge for One Night in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if this is worth the driving time. We fly out to Tambor the next morning and I'm trying to get an idea of timing. Our international flight arrives at 1:00 in the afternoon so we'd have the latter half of a day and early morning to spend at Peace Lodge.
Also, we'd just book a standard room. Has anyone had a really great room that they loved...something quiet with a great view? Suggestions appreciated.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM

For me it would be worth it. We stayed there for just one night the first time and loved it. We did all the exhibits like the butterfly house during the afternoon, did the nocturnal frog tour that night, and then got up early and hiked the falls and had them all to ourselves. It's only about an hour from the airport, so fairly convenient. We've liked every room that we've had. The standard rooms are plenty posh; we booked a deluxe once because they were out of standards, and for me, it wasn't worth the extra money - loved the standard without having to blow extra $. We haven't been since the earthquake over a year ago, but I hear they are getting everything back in place. Last I checked, two of the five falls were back open. The views are really pretty. The rooms all have very complicated butterfly names like Heliconius Bellarus, etc. so very hard to remember specific room numbers for me. Even when we're there, I'm like what the heck is our room called again?! They put your name on the door - probably for that reason - lol! The walls seem a bit thin to me; we had a crying baby next to us one night and could hear a lot of crying.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 04:07 AM

If you stay there, be sure to fly Sansa. They fly out of the international airport, which is closer to Peace Lodge.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM

What time is your flight to Tambor? On Sansa or Nature Air? That would make a difference.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've been comparing prices for Peace Lodge and Xandari. Peace Lodge's prices are at their peak in August, even higher than the winter months. Alternatively, Xandari is offering some great green season discounts. So, Xandari may be my choice, and I'll try Peace Lodge in February when I return. Anyone have any idea why one place would offer green season rates, while the other would have peak prices in August? I'm a a bit confused...
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Xandari is another nice property; we really loved it there and only about 20 minutes from the airport. Most places have the green season rates, not sure why Peace Lodge wouldn't.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 07:58 PM

We were at La Paz waterfall gardens about 3 weeks ago. The road to get there is still being worked on after the earthquake. You are able to walk down to see several of the waterfalls but you have to hike the stairs back up rather than take a shuttle. So sad to see such a beautiful place beat up like it was but they have been working hard. I was disappointed to see the wild cats and monkeys. I understand that they are rescues but they didn't look at all happy. The frog house was a disappointment as well. Not much to see in it. We stayed there when they first opened and loved the room. We were in a deluxe and bounced around in the two jacuzzis and two showers. A little overkill but a fun splurge.

I would stay closer to the airport.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:05 AM

I really don't like their having the monkey and wildcat exhibits there either. We did the frog tour at night, and the building was completely dark with all the frogs climbing all over the plants and swimming in the water. We walked through with flashlights, and the frogs even jumped on us which was pretty cool. I think you definitely have to go at night to get the most out of it.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Peace Lodge charges differently because they can. It is/was a fabulous property, and they know it! Just me, I'd wait and do it when it has been fully restored. We always feel guilty staying there as it is a huge splurge, but not so much to keep us from wanting to return another time!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 09:11 AM

I second the opinion to stay nearer the airport. For us, 2 nights at Peace Lodge is a must to really enjoy it and not feel rushed. Hate not spending plenty of time in those fabulous rooms!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I've booked a night at Xandari,which is closer to the airport, and fyi, offered me quite an attractive price. As per the general concensus, I'll visit Peace Lodge in February when I return.
BTW, anyone going to be in Montezuma (specifically Ylang Ylang)late July, early August?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Xandari has been running some good specials - I love the hiking on their property, and the nice views.

hip has a Ylang Ylang trip coming up I think.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Hip,I think you said you'd be at YY in June? When will you be there?