PDC Resort Choice - Your Opinion Please

Jan 15th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Bill

PDC Resort Choice - Your Opinion Please

We have been offered rates at two resorts that are attractive, and would like opinions from those of you that have stayed at either or both.

Reef Club Playacar

Copacabana Maya Riveria

We have not been to PDC before, but we are experienced international travelers. Our previous AI experiences have been with Sandals in Jamaica and also Beaches, again in Jamaica. Comparison to Sandals would be welcome if anyone can.

Thank you for you help it is really appreciated.

Oh, forgot, this will be mid-April for the trip.

Again, thanks much.

Jan 15th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Charlie

topping for Bill

Jan 16th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Edward Smith

I am also looking for this comparison of these two places as they are on our short list. Another option we have is to use the JW Marriott in Cancun as we can get a discounted rate there. However, by the time we add food, drink, and activities on to the Marriott tab I figure it will cost as much or more than the AI. Anyone care to comment. Thanks so much folks.

Jan 16th, 2003, 08:14 AM
ann

the difference between the JW and an AL is very big. The JW is a deluxe hotel, one of top 3 (and the newest) hotels in Cancun, while AL hotels (in my opinion) are more for the kind of people who enjoy cruises, family camps, like to drink A LOT of alcohol, etc. and are not looking for high quality food.

Jan 16th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Ally

I've Been to Reef Club Playacar and it was nice for the price. It's a smaller resort than most, which I enjoy. It's also at the end of the 'Resort Zone' so the beach was not as crowded as other resort beaches. It's also the closest resort in Playacar to town. And I loved the 'jungle feel' of this resort. Most resorts in the area cut down the jungle and plant large areas of grass, Reef Club did not.
Sorry I can't compare to Copacabana as I've not been there, but I can say that neither will live up to Sandals or Beaches.
I have to agree with Ann though. For 'experienced' travelers, why go AI? There are wonderful hotels in town and cheap food can be found. (You'll get tired of the buffet at Reef Club for sure!) Look into Playa Maya Hotel on the beach in town. Very nice and RIGHT on the beach.

Jan 16th, 2003, 09:39 AM
bill

Can not find anything on Playa Maya hotel in PDC...no web site, no mention in any guides, nothing at all. Has it changed names or gone out of business? I have looked and looked and can not locate it. Got a link?

Jan 16th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Jane

Hi
We stayed at the Copa last spring and enjoyed it very much. The Copa is set within the jungle and has a very nice beach. The rooms are large and everything is well kept. The drinks and food were good with the Italian restaurant being my favorite. We've been to PDC several times and have noticed that restaurant prices aren't as cheap as they were several years back. We were glad we had the AL.
The Copa isn't as close to town as the Reef Club but the buses are reliable and cheap.
I read that the Reef Club was rated as a "moderate" property while the Copa was rated as "deluxe".
I hope this helps.

Jan 16th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Ally

Maybe Playa Maya can't be found by searching because it's a brand new hotel...opened in August. Here's the web site:

http://www.playa-maya.com/

Jan 16th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Patti

The beach in the photos at the Playa Maya looks awfully rocky. That's the trouble with some of these resorts, the beaches just are not too good.

Jan 17th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Ally

There are a FEW rocks directly in front of Playa Maya, but 30' or so to the left, there are no rocks. So, in general, rocks are not a problem at Playa Maya.

Jan 21st, 2003, 11:06 AM
big bob

If you are interested, the recent Conde Nast Traveler Gold List issue had the JW Marriott in Cancun as the number one hotel for rooms in "the Americas" (basically anywhere in the Americas outside of US and Canada). Now that is saying something about that place if the rooms are that good. It must be really cool. My wife can get a GIANT discount there (like about $250 off daily rack rate) so maybe we will go there soon and check it out.