paying Percy before trip

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paying Percy before trip

I have arranged for Percy to get my train tickets to Machu Piccu and to be available for 5 days in Cusco and the Sacred Valley in October. He would like me to send some money to his bank in Peru. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Percy paid out of pocket for our tickets when we went and we paid him when we arrived, but I'm sure it's probably not easy for him so it doesn't surprise me that he's asking for the money in advance. I feel quite sure he's honest and reliable and wouldn't worry about paying in advance.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Anybody with a name like Percy has to be honest

Percy
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM

We used Percy exclusively while in Peru for 10 days. He is as trustworthy and professional as any guide we have ever used. I would feel very comfortable about forwarding money to his bank as per his request. While there, the dollar was dropping almost as fast as Bush's popularity!
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:29 PM

We used Percy recently in the Sacred Valley. He is definitely trustworthy (note, I did not need to send him money in advance). After spending a few days with him, I am happy to recommend him.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM

Percy was our "guide" in March 2008. He is terrific!

I talked to him about my personal perception of "feeling more secure" transferring to a bonafide bank account over sending money via western union. Perhaps he has opted to make that a more viable option for his clients, dropping the "send money to the corner grocery store".... And by the way, it is a royale pain to pay for your train tickets through Peru Rail, and have someone else pick them up. Feel free to ask me about this.

Percy is without a doubt, most dependable and trustworthy. Go for it... I can't imagine that he would let you down. Now, should your plans change? What refund might occur? Take out some trip insurance????

By the way, you have 5 days with Percy? I hope that he might take you to Hullioc one afternoon. This small village is beyond Ollanta. You will not read about it, and you will not see other tourists there, or at least we didn't. The drive was "rich", but the destination surprised me beyond words because of what transpired there. Hhmm ... I just don't want to say any more. All I know is that this was an excursion offerred by a very perceptive "guide". After one day, he knew what would rock my boat. Nonetheless, be sure to "schedule" some time for you without a guide, even if it means a bit later start or earlier finish to your "full day" "tours"....

Percy also made arrangements for me to meet with Teo Chambi, the grandson of photographer Martin Chambi... www.martinchambi.com... This was a real big treat for me, but hey, I'm a photographer and I know the historical rich value of Chambi's work.

Another testiment to Percy... we "hired" him for SV only... and then extended our time with him when we returned to Cusco. He is a gem.

OH, and one more thing. We arrived to Lima/Cusco without my luggage. Percy and his daughter took care of EVERYTHING... at no extra charge. And honestly, after one look at both airports... this was a huge help to us. Priceless.

Enjoy your trip. We loved Peru!
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:22 PM

Hi 4everywhere, I'm interested to hear more about your visit w/ Chambi's son. I read that his daughter runs a gallery of his works in Cusco. Did you visit it? where is it exactly? Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:00 AM

JC98:

I did not visit a gallery, I went to Teo's house and looked at some contact prints, and a few originals on his walls.

It was not clearly explained, lost in translation perhaps, whether or not there is a permanent exhibition somewhere in Cusco.

Take a look at the website, and perhaps contact Teo with more questions. Teo is the son of Julia -- Martin Chambi's daugher. He did not speak English, so be sure to email him in Spanish.

Hope you can get a chance to meet him, and that one day, all of us will have a chance to visit the original studio and see all the props, cameras, plates, etc...

Good luck finding out more!