David Choque

Old Dec 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Choque

We are planning a trip with David Choque in May and he has asked us to wire money directly to his bank account in Peru for half of the expenses. He is booking all f the hotels, train to Macchu Picchu and guiding us along the way. We are definitely looking forward to working with him, but concerned about the payment program. Can anyone advise us on this? If you would prefer to respond directly to me I can be reached at [email protected]
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We used David a couple years ago. At that time he did not ask us for any money in advance. He booked our train to MP and provided guide services. We had already booked our hotels prior to contacting him. I would trust David and wouldn't have a problem wiring money to him. He has been doing business for years and has a good reputation. I think most travel companies ask for some sort of payment prior to arrival to guarantee their services, so I'm not suprised that David is asking for a deposit. I could imagine that there are situations where he buys tickets, puts deposits down on hotels, schedules his time and then people cancel. What are the cancellation policies should u not be able to go to Peru? Is there a contract that he will be providing?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 05:06 AM

It is fairly common practice for smaller operators.

to not take credit cards and require half up front.

David gets generally good reivews but

One complaint I have seen on aburpt cancellation

without giving proper notice.

might do some searching on www.tripadvisor.com Peru forum.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Just emailed you - but like yestravel we would trust David and highly recommend him.

When we traveled with him he didn't have the banking facility in place and as yestravel says it was challenging for him to cash flow the reservations.

have a great trip!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 05:44 AM

We used David last April and I had no idea he was paying for our hotel reservations until I got there and had a zero balance on my first hotel stay! I was shocked, had no idea he had used his own money 6 months prior to book the hotel, which required payment in full at time of booking. I wondered how he could afford to do that, tie up his own money, and I felt bad about it. I would have preferred to do what he is asking you to do and wire him the money, rather than have him use his own six month before we ever showed up.

I am not surprised he is asking for half up front, and I would have no problem wiring money to him. I found him to have integrity and to be honest. My son was hospitalized for 4 days in Cuzco and David was right there w/us much of the time. He was incredibly loyal.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM

qwovadis,
We have hired David as tour guide for a week during July. All of our communications with him have been extremely professional. He is bending over backwards to create an itinerary that we will really enjoy. I'm worried about the "abrupt cancellation without proper notice" that you are referring to. I didn't find anything about that in the trip advisor forum. Do you have any details?
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
caligirl56, I vaguely recall a post on this forum with the story referenced above (abrupt cancellation). While I don't doubt that the person posting was being honest about his experience I believe there might have been more to the story. It seemed very uncharacterisitic of David based on many reveiws about him and my experience with David. Apparently David has been in business for many years and has many, many satisfied customers. I really wouldn't let one negative forum posting push u away from using him. I can't speak highly enough about David. He is kind, considerate, honest and really enhanced our experience in Peru. Perhaps u can ask what would happen if there is a last minute emergency on his side and he is unable to guide u. I imagine he would find someone else replace him.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM

caligirl56 - like yestravel I recall the poster. At that time I emailed David about it and he told me his side of the story. Given that and my (and others) positive experience I do not hesitate to recommend him.

(he asked if he should post a response but I counseled him not to - just let it sink - the poster never reappeared and I think that was the right advice)
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks! I have a good feeling about him. And I've seen so many really good reviews.