Passport requirements: Mexico

Oct 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Passport requirements: Mexico

I realize that passports are required when traveling between the US and Mexico, but I have read that some airlines won't accept a passport that is due to expire within 6 months. Has anyone heard about this being a problem for travel to Mexico?
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:29 PM

No. My friend used one that was expiring in 3 months. But check with the airline you are using. You still can fly to Mexico with an original certified copy of your USA birth certificate and a picture ID. That may or may not change in January 2007. There was rumor it would take effect January 2008. It is always Best to have the valid passport. I think you will be fine.
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Ooops...I posted too soon! I just found the previous postings on this topic. Passports not required until 1-8-07.
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks blondlady! I may have them renewed anyway...both kids' passports expire in Feb 07, and my husband's Jan 07...cutting it a tad close.
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:03 AM

If you're going to renew, you best do it soon. With the new requirements going into effect, it's going to take longer to get them back.
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM

It's not the airlines that make the rules, its the destination country. So it is different for different destinations even if the same airline. You can usually find the information on the country's embassy website.
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Laurie is correct. Best advise is to renew when six months from experation date.
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:47 AM

That's true that the airlines don't make the rules, but sometimes they enforce (or don't enforce) rules/laws that are wrong.

It wasn't that long ago there was a long thread (I think on this site) about the family that was deported immediately from Costa Rica because their young child didn't have a passport. The airlines said she didn't need one.....

So, visiting a country that doesn't require six months left on a passport doesn't guarantee the airline will allow you to board.
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:05 AM

In this particular case, it's the U.S. government that's imnplemented the requirements, not Mexico.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

The State Department's website doesn't say anything about how long the passport must be valid to be permitted to re-enter the United States. I think that's the place you should be contacting.
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

From the Asst to the US Consular in PV: "As long as you are traveling within [the validity dates specified on your passport] you should be OK. However, we encourage you to renew those passports once you get back home."
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I believe JeanH was referring to the specific issue of brought up as to whether a passport with less than 6 mos (or 3 mos or whatever) to go before it expires is acceptable for entry into a given foreign country. IN that case that is certainly determined by the foreign country in question, although as she points out, you may want to check with them on that rather than the airlines (or perhaps with both), as the airlines may or may not get it right when informing you of such things.

However it's exactly right, and bears repeating (because people seem to be somewhat easily confused on this point), that it is the United States, not any destination country Americans may be travelling to, that is changing the requirements so that more people (including Americans) have to have a passport to re-enter the U.S. This is all part of increased security measures put in place in the wake of 9/11. So it's not, for example, Mexico that's getting tough -- it's the U.S. getting tough on anybody (again including their own citizens) who wishes to enter the U.S., even if that means re-entering the U.S. after your vacation.

Steve
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:00 PM

As we are going to Mexico in February, and my wife's passport will expire around 2 months after we RETURN - I also wondered about passport requirements.
I called the State Department's Passport division, and the airline(Jet Blue) - both said our passport should be fine. HOWEVER - when I contacted the Mexican Tourist Board(on several occasions, via phone and email), they were clear that the passport should be 6, but AT LEAST 3 months valid AFTER the return date. They said that to avoid any potential problems returning to the USA, renew the passport so it is valid for 6 months. So - that is what we are doing, and what I would recommend.
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Amen! Since so many countries want at least 6 months left on a passport..why cut it that close? Just renew it and get it over with.