Do I need a passport to go to Mexico or not?

Mar 11th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Do I need a passport to go to Mexico or not?

Tried this yesterday and would like some more info . I was told I could use a birth certificate. Thanks one and all.
Mar 11th, 2003, 06:43 AM

No you do not have to have a passport. It is a lot more convienient to have one, but a birth cerificate and license or other photo ID will do. Remember though the certificate must have a state raised seal on it. I traveled to Mexico this past January and two of our traveling partners used birth certificates.
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:32 AM
TC

You don't need one to go TO Mexico, just to get BACK to the States. With all the security now and the prospect of war, I wouldn't suggest leaving the country without a passport if you can possibly get one before your trip. I was severly scolded at the Canadian border when I didn't take my passport for re-entry, so things have changed. We just traveled to Mexico in February and announcements at the airport before boarding our plane made it clear that everyone was expected to have a passport. We had to show them to get on board. I would call my airline to be safe. Otherwise you could be denied boarding at the airport.
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:35 PM

I have not read anything that says you will need a passport to get back into the United States, Maybe Canada, but not the US. If you are really worried, I would suggest you call the state department and see what they say.
Mar 11th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Passports greatly expedite things. If you are going to a tourist destination you will probably be o.k. without one. If you get off the beaten path you will have trouble cashing traveler's checks as most places will not do it without a passport. Likewise, if you are traveling and encounter military roadblocks it is a good thing to have. For me, it was just to much hassle not to have one. However, it is still legal to use a certified birth certificate with a raised seal accompanied by a valid photo ID such as a driver's license.
Mar 12th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Where are you coming from Sapito?You certainly need a passport to get in to Mexico from the U.K.

Search this Thread