Search

Panajachel, Solola

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panajachel, Solola

I am a solo female traveler spending a 3 weeks in Pana and have never been here before. The weather is beautiful even though the rainy season is beginning and clouds roll in early most afternoons. This is my first trip to Guate, though I have travelled in C.A., the Yucatan mostly.

My observations after my first week here:

From what I have heard from other travelers, the town is quieter than normal. I would have to agree; the ratio of tourist stalls/vendors to the actual number of travelers is pretty high. Clearly, Pana is used to having a lot more people in town.

The highlight of my stay so far has been a guided hike with Roger’s Tours. A short boat ride to San Marcos and then a three hour hike to Santa Cruz, stopping at the lovely Casa del Mundo for lunch. We had beautiful views of Lake Atitlan and the volcanoes the entire time. Pretty pricey ($55 US/ person), but worth it. Plus, now I know the route and can do it again solo (I'm on a tight budget - no more $55 hikes for me).

Sitting in a café along Calle Santander, recommended by all the guidebooks as great people watching, gets stale pretty fast, as the sheer number of people trying to sell you trinkets and textiles becomes overwhelming. At dinner one night my dad and I were approached by no less than ten. Forget trying to peacefully read a book, the interruptions are unceasing – and persistent. The locals are pretty jaded, including the staff at some cafes. They’d just assume you move on to somewhere else. I’d say about half of my restaurant experiences here have been nice ones, the others not so great. The solicitations on the street are constant also (I was actually grabbed by and elderly woman trying to sell me textiles who would not let go of my arm).

There are a handful of expats living here from countries far and wide. I have met many very nice people, locals and expats alike. Even the people trying to hustle you something are nice. Overall the vibe is super relaxed, just a little too much of a tourist trap for my taste.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks for posting. I arrived at a similar impression of Pana after less than 24 hours, though I know people who return there often and swear that, if I'd get to know it, I'd like it better.

Please ask for advice before hiking the trails around the like on your own - there have been some scary bandit episodes on many of them over the years, don't know about recent activity.

I'll look forward to hearing more as you learn more about Pana and explore other villages around the lake. I'll be returning to the area this summer, for Spanish study in San Pedro La Laguna. Happy trails!
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

I too have read warnings about hiking on my own and have decided not to do it. I did it with a friend, but will not go alone - I'm tough, but also small! I do have a can of mace and am wondering if that would suffice? I do not know of any recent attacks or muggings....I was just looking at Lonely Planet forum but found no info.

Now that I have been here for another week I find that the area is growing on me. The tough-sell vendors are still annoying, but if you weave and bob enough you can get through town. It just takes a while to learn the ropes here. Must be patient.

Exploring the other lakeside villages has been wonderful. After one more week here, though, I'll be ready to head out. I do really like Guatemala now and plan to return.
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Thanks for reporting.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks for posting. I was in Pana for two weeks with two boys back in August. We studied Spanish at one of the schools (Jabel Tinamit - great school, very highly recommend it). Pana was lovely, but more interesting with Spanish classes. Loved the used Mayan clothing sale in front of the fire station on Thursdays, great food in the market, and incredible views of the volcanos. Did a home stay and learned alot about the people and the culture. Planning to go back this August.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Was at Posada Santiago in January for just 2 days as part of a tour. I really enjoyed Santiago and the lake, did not spend much time in Pana. We are going back this January and spending 10 days at the lake. I found the information about Rogers Tours helpful, will have to look them up. Can anyone tell me how far it is from Pan to Solola ?
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Less than half an hour on a bus between Pana and Sololá.