Pagging Suze, Puerto Vallarta questions.

Old Dec 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pagging Suze, Puerto Vallarta questions.

Suze, I have read many of your threads and I know you travel solo and have been to Puerto Vallarta many times. I've never been to Puerto Vallarta the only place I've been in Mexico is Cancun. Just wondering if they is a hotel or AI that you like in Puerto Vallarta that is good (pricewise) for solo travellers. If you've been to Cancun, how does PV compare? I'm not much of a beach person. I am more interested in the cultural sights and the adventure activities (zip lining/dune buggies, etc).

Thanks.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM

I have never stayed at an all-inclusive or been to Cancun, so I can't comment on those things.

I stay most often (a dozen+ times) at Posada de Roger, which is a regular 3-star Mexican family-run hotel 2-blocks from the beach. It is clean, friendly and safe but extremely basic. Nice pool and restaurant. www.hotelposadaderoger.com

I have also stayed three times at Casa Andrea. Which is more comfortable, and offers kitchenettes in each unit, more of a B&B with beautiful private courtyard setting. www.casa-andrea.com

I always felt totally safe in both places as a solo traveler.

There's plenty to see and do in Vallarta, besides the beach.
www.vallartainfo.com & www.allvallarta.com & the PV forum at Trip Advisor are your best resources for more information.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, suze.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM

i am not Suze but we stayed at
http://www.playalosarcos.com/playalosarcos and loved it.
PV is so casual and easy to walk around. We felt safe everywhere and even rented a car and drove up into the hills and went to Chicos Paradise for lunch.

in town i liked the Dolphy ice cream place.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM

Hotel Playa Los Arcos is an excellent suggestion! Right on Playa Los Muertos, the fun and busy public beach on the south-side. You can also stay at Dona Susana or Los Arcos Suites (3 sister properties all share beach-front priviledges at PLA).

There are only 2 other good all-inclusives that are in or walking distance to El Centro (downtown) PV, the others are Buenaventura & Villa Premiere (sister properties).

Also Dreams is a nice AI, and on its own beach, but it's a short bus or taxi ride to the south of town.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM

I have to give Dreams two big thumbs up. We were met with cool scented washcloths and a glass of bubbly at checkin. The beach is gorgeous and quiet with just a few beach vendors (compared to Los Muertos which has a TON). Food was very good for an AI and drinks were included.

We took a taxi to town for 50 pesos. It's about a 7 minute ride.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM

Since you are not into the beach scene I would highly recommend PV's second oldest hotel. http://www.cuatrovientos.com/
Small with but 12 rooms, a fabulous view from El Nido the roof top bar, an excellent restaurant which was The Late director John Huston's favorite in town & an included breakfast about half way between a Continental & a American one makes for a good spot. Lots of solo but Independent travelers to mix with or not depending on your preference. I have stayer here for almost 25 years now.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I have never understood why anyone would ever do an all-inclusive. There are so many awesome places to see and eat that I would not want to feel tied to a particular hotel. I also am a single female traveler and would never spend money on an all-inclusive. If all I want to do is sit by a pool and drink Pina Coladas, I can do that 10 miles from home. As for safety, I feel totally safe in all parts of Vallarta. I even go into the Mexican villages alone and feel not only safe, but welcome (and I speak very little Spanish). I love Pitillal, and Boca de Tomatlan, and Bucerias, and Sayulita, and Nuevo Vallarta, and El Tuito. I feel completely safe in all of those areas ALONE.