Search

Hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Hi everyone,

I am going to PV in February for a week. I am looking for a hotel within walking distance of the good stuff, on the beach and with a nice pool. I am hoping to find something for under 100/night for my boyfriend and I. I stayed at the El Pescador hotel in 1998 and was thinking about returning there. We aren't big partiers so nothing crazy. My boyfriend has his heart set on all-inclusive (he's never tried it and wants to) but I have talked him out of it. I definitely want to stay somewhere with some good lounging opportunities though. Does anyone know if the beach in front of the El Pescador is swimmable?

Thanks so much!!
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 01:39 AM

bookit.com/mexico/puerto-vallarta

Lots better options/locations than the Pescador above

Melia Dreams and Riu.com to name but a few prettier

better beach area so might find a good deal on one of those.

travel.state.gov Mexico for a heads up downtown can get dodgy

Stay in tourist enclaves and insuremytrip.com always wise...

Happy Planning and Have fun!
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Riu is way out of town in Nuevo Vallarta not within walking distance to anything.
Nothing at all wrong with downtown, very safe and secure here, don't believe what you hear.
Look at Playa Los Arcos on Los Muertos beach, which is a very happening beach on the south side of town, within walking distance to everything.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 06:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The beach front at El Pescador is not all that great. I've not seen people swimming there.

Rosita in that area is another possibility. Or the Buenaventura (if you did want to go AI for your boyfriend).

But 'south of the river' I would look at The Tropicana Hotel or Playa Los Arcos which are right on Los Muertos, the best beach for swimming, activities, bars, restaurants.

$100/night in February (high season) is going to be tight for beachFRONT. If you are willing to stay a couple blocks in from the beach that opens up many other options in or near that price range. Dona Susana, Vallarta Sun Hotel, Hotel Eloisa, Encino, Casa Andrea, Posada Roger to name a few.

<downtown can get dodgy>
Well that's just not true. Qwovadis, when exactly was the last time you were in Puerto Vallarta? And why are you sending them way out to Nuevo, when they specifically said walking distance to the good stuff?
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM

The Rosita is PV's oldest hotel. I always stop by soaking up it's vibes each trip.
Two problems is lack of a decent beach & I understand the street side rooms are noisy. Still a nice pool& with a bay side room I would be tempted.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not worried about the safety. We were in Syria last February and I felt safe there so I'm sure PV is safe. And I work in the downtown east side in Vancouver so most places are tranquil next to that.

I may look at staying off the waterfront. A nice pool would be better than the beach actually. I have an insulin pump and I am not sure how I would manage swimming at a public beach. Would our stuff be safe if we left it for a bit to go swimming? I usually hide the pump under my towel so even if my purse got stolen I would still have it.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Most locations require sitting at a beach café. The staff will watch your stuff if asked.I personally never lost anything in 25 years on Mexican beaches.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

So I think we will go to the Posada de Roger. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Posada Roger is my favorite hotel! I've stayed there a dozen times. It's a budget place (well under your price range) and a bit rustic, but really well kept and well run. Great rooftop sundeck and sunny 2nd floor pool. Fredy's El Tucan restaurant is downstairs and does a great breakfast.

There's quite a bit of difference in room types at Roger's, so when you check in ask if you can see a few of the options available (they'll likely give you 2-3 keys and let you look at what room you like. Because the hotel is a 4-sided courtyard setting, the rooms in each 'wing' are quite different one from the next (smaller/larger, hoisier/quieter, brighter/darker).

It's 2-1/2 blocks to the beach, and most people sit at the beach bars that line Los Muertos. For the price of drinks &/or food this give you waiter service on the sand, use of chairs, tables, umbrella or palapa, etc. and restrooms.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Suze,

I was debating between the Posada Roger and Vallarta Sun Suites and Hotel. Do you think Posada Roger is the way to go? I'm so excited to book a sunny warm holiday!

You've been really helpful here, and I've also read your replies on other threads. Thanks!!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 06:29 AM

Actually imo Vallarta Sun Suites or Vallarta Sun Hotel (they are two different buildings, a block apart) are the nicer hotels. They are also more expensive.

While I personally love Posada Roger but it is VERY basic budget hotel. I can't stress that enough. It works for me, but I call it "summer camp at the beach" more than it's like a real hotel.

Another advantage is Vallarta Sun properties sit closer to the beach and are not on a busy street (like Roger) so would be much quieter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is as much as I enjoy Posada Roger, Vallarta Sun properties are really quite a bit nicer.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM

I once I had a week booked at the Roger but was forced to cancel at the last minute due to surgery. No penalty just concern. Nice Folks!
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM

I am currently in PV with hubby, and we checked out Hotel Posada Roger and the location is great! Close to shopping, restaurants and the beach. Talked to a couple staying there and they love it.
We are out at the Sheraton Buganvilla which we like a great deal, but actually prefer being in town where you can get back to your hotel in a jiffy by walking. Suze is right, we saw one room on the ground floor with no window & no TV, but others do have windows,near the poolwould be great. (I don't know about TV's) Freddy Tucan is a great place to have breakfast!
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM

Thank you on behalf of Roger's for the compliments! Yes I'm pretty sure all the rooms have wall-mounted TVs with satellite, also air-con, ceiling fans, etc. Rooms near the pool are nice, as are the ones up off the 3rd floor rooftop sundeck and the few with tiny balconies overlooking B. Badillo.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Ever consider renting on condo on VRBO.com? I got a great deal for a week in PV at the Shangri-La, but it's in the marina area. You can select the area on VRBO you want to stay and see if it's any cheaper than a hotel???
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM

If you want to go the apartment/condo route, I have had a great experience with www.vallarta-getaways.com. They have units in a number of buildings. Off-season they are similar to a hotel room price, but February is high-reason so likely things are going to be more expensive. Certainly more expensive than Posada Roger!
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Darn it! I just tried to book with Vallarta Sun Suites but they are booked up. No worries, we are booking with Posada de Roger. I'm sure it will be fine. We are happy with basic and budget. Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just booked a week in PV for next April and the Sheraton Bugenvilla rooms were running around $90/night if you are interested in a resort type hotel. Not sure what the February rates are. Sheraton is walking distance (10-15 minute walk) to downtown.
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 05:19 AM

The Hacienda Alemana is somewhat more than your price range but it is a beautiful place to stay. It is only about three or four blocks from the beach and gets great reviews from everyone who stays there. I wrote a trip report last March about it so if you are interested check it out.