Pacuare Lodge - rafting question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there different companies to reserve with or is Aventuras Naturales the one?

I have a pending reservation/quote and just want to make sure this is the right outfitter.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Hi, hip - I can't wait to read your trip report on this. We're interested in doing the Pacuare too.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM

hip, researched this last year. AN or Rios Tropicales either would be good. Rios lodge more rustic, also less $$. When we do it, I think I'd try to more upscale one. Might as well go all out, right?!
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

vgirl -- Yep, I'll be sure to take a waterproof cam and report back for ya'! Do you have tentative dates for your next trip yet?

shillmac -- I think I'm going to go for the Pacuare Lodge just cuz. ;-) I just wasn't sure which website to reserve it through. I did it through this site and when the resv form came through it had Aventuras Naturales header on it.

http://www.junglelodgecostarica.com/

I guess I can check my guide book when I get home too.

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Well...now I've been doing a little more checking and I think Rios Tropicales sounds great too! So, I'll be sure to post back how it all ends up. I'm liking all of the community and sustainable projects they're involved in.

shillmac -- Have you decided which package you're going with?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Those 2 companies, Rios and Aventuras, are (I THINK) the two foremost outfitters for the area, with strong safety records. Each owns a hotel for the overnight tours. We probably won't do this until perhaps one day when we are living part time in the area, but AN just looks so beautiful--more upscale.

When we were at Rancho last month, one of the birding guides was telling me about a fatality on the Reventazon that had occured a couple of weeks earlier. Tourist had failed to put foot in the little secure strap (would that really help?) and had gone out of the raft. Guide had gone in after him. Both drowned--were dashed into a large rock. Herman (the guide) said there was no way he'd do white water. I know Tully is really nervous about it as well.

I believe it is risky (along with lots of other things, like driving), but the thrill is pretty cool. I am always immensely relieved when it is over and I step out whole and alive!

Am looking into reserving a couple of nights at Bosque del Rio Tigre near Dos Brazos after our week at BdC. Then I fly home on the 5th to pick Isabelle up and take her back. I've wanted to check that place out for quite some time, and it seems like an opportune time to do it. I am gradually working on an itinerary. Have contacted Casa Siempre Domingo at Pavones, but haven't heard.

Hope you are having a great weekend!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Gee, shillmac thanks for the positive reinforcement LOL! Seriously, I know it can be dangerous. AN does state on it's FAQ's that there have been no serious accidents in 20 years...so that's at least comforting. I've done Class IV before on the Roque River and I do think that either outfitter offers top notch guides.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Look how long it took me to rent a car, now how much longer will it be til I go rafting?!

hip - you have to promise to follow all safety instructions, can't have you showing up to SFTS all banged up!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:41 PM

oh and shillmac, if you do decide on Bosque del Rio Tigre can't wait to hear all about it, and Siempre Domingo as well! Both places I've had in my "list".
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:53 PM

You only have the foot strap if you are in the front of the raft. Those spots are typically given to the two strongest or most athletic of the six. If you are in the middle or back, you shove one foot between the bottom and side of the raft. Unless you are going at a rainy time when the water is high (this is when it is REALLY fun), you won't have a real wild ride.

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM

We did the Pacuare Lodge with Adventures Naturales and loved it! I had my tavel agent book them through that site you mentioned. I can't recommend it highly enough. If you've rafted Class IV before you should be fine. Have fun!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

LOL, I don't think I'll be in front...

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm looking forward to it!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Tully, I guess you know that we definitely are doing BdRT, but have dropped Pavones (again) in favor of the 2 nights overnight at Sirena Station in Corcovado (hiking in) with 2 nights front and back at a hotel in Carate. We will then meet you at BdC. Following that, we'll finish up our Osa time with a couple of do nothing nights at Iguana Lodge.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:31 AM

hip--sorry for the negative comments! I've always had a ball white water rafting (Tennessee, Colorado), but that doesn't take away from the fact that I have quite a respect (interpret "fear&quot of the possibilities! You'll enjoy it. DH has never done it, so I figure we'll do it once more on the Pacuare, then put that activity aside for the more adventurous!