Ollantaytambo redux

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ollantaytambo redux

Hi again, most of you probably remember me from posting on here asking about this town in Peru. I'm interviewing for a job here and am beginning to consider my options IF they should offer it!

Does anyone know approx how much it costs to travel by train to Cusco from Ollantaytambo? What costs were like in the town itself? What is food in Peru like? I'm a vegetarian (a lousy one, but I try)--am I out of luck?

Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Also--is acclimation an issue? What about getting sick on food/water?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
How exciting, you're getting closer to maybe moving to a wonderful place. I'm not aware of any trains between Cusco and Ollantaytambo. You could check out the Peru Rail website
http://tinyurl.com/28nml6
There are buses and cabs/drivers are pretty inexpensive also.

Costs in the town are very moderate to inexpensive. Peruvian food uses a lot of potatoes so they build lots of dishes around potatoes. If you eat fish, there is lots of trout in that area and the ceviche is also good. they had lots of salads on menus and veggies too. And of curse, there is always veggie pizza which we had while there. I'm sure you will find plenty to eat, but not being a vegetarian, I can't be more specific.

Ollantaytambo is around 8,000 ft altitude as opposed to Cusco which is over 11,000. Everyone is different in terms of adjusting to the altitude. We started at 7,000 feet and never had a problem there or as we went to destinations at higher altitudes. Follow the same advice about taking it slow, drinking lots of water etc your first few days and hopefully you'll be fine.
Good luck!

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all of the great information! I am trying not to get my hopes up, but it does sound promising.... THANKS!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:34 AM

What type of job is it?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Working with a women's weaving cooperative and helping out at the Museo CATCCO. Are you familiar with either of those initiatives?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM

We visited a weaving cooperative in Chinchero - is that the one? It was a wonderful experience - we met Nilda Callañaupa the lady who set it up and we bought a beautiful piece there.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM

There is a train station in Ollantaytambo and you can take the train to Machu Picchu, Cusco and Urubamba.

You may want to see the web page for Ollantaytambo. They have links to restaurants as well as a city map.

http://www.ollantaytambo.org/en/
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM

No, we didnt know about the cooperative or the Museo. Wish we had...would have loved to visit.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I'll be making a first trip to Peru next week, so am a novice to the country. However, as previously mentioned Ollantaytambo ("Ollanta" as I've sometimes seen it) is in the Sacred Valley and so you shouldn't have too much difficulty w/ altitude acclimation.

As for the nuts & bolts of moving and living there, you may want to check out a few expat websites.

http://www.expatperu.com/

http://www.alloexpat.com/peru_expat_forum/
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Okay... it's official! I'm going to live in Ollantaytambo. Thanks to all who have answered all of my questions. A few more:

Is water safe to drink in Ollantaytambo/Peru in general?

Anyone have any experience with phone/internet in Ollantaytambo?

Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:58 AM

what a fantastic experience! Good luck. You'll nly find out how altitude affects you when you're up there. But shouldnt be a problem as isnt too high. My grandparents lived in a farm not too far from ollanta. It's a beautiful place, small but charming, the sacred valley is spectacular and very varied. You cant drink tap water so always buy, in small or big bottles/ some come in large 20 litre ones. Vegetarian, hum ! NOt easy but you should be ok. You'll have to check with soups though as like in Mexico even the vegetable soups had chicken stock in them. I got very sick last time in peru from a soup near machu picchu. Make sure it is BOILING hot. Vegetraianism is rare in altin america as a whole, if you're invited to other peoples houses for a meal there will sometimes be meat or fish, and always potatoes .
Good luck and keep posted on how its going.