Ilha Grande transportation

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ilha Grande transportation

I am trying to figure out details for a trip from Rio to Ilha Grande. In order to maximize time on the island, I would like to hire a private boat to take me and my two friends from Ilha Grande (we are still trying to find out where we will be staying at...) to Angra or Mangaratiba very early in the morning on July 26 (Thursday). We have a flight out of Rio on that morning at 11am, so I would like to know if it is possible for us to hire a private boat from Ilha Grande to drop us off at the mainland and then we can grab the 6am bus to Rio from Angra or Mangaratiba, so then we can grab the bus to the airport and arrive by 10am. Is this crazy? Or is it doable? Thanks! If doable, too expensive?
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM

Hiya, me again., im sure there are boats which will take you privately, but i wouldnt really risk it on your journey back as you need to leave from Ilha grande so early and be back in Rio for at the lastest 10am. I'd do it thru one of the local agencies to be sure it will def happen, cant think of anything worse than having a fisherman or something saying he'll be at your hotel to meet you at 5:30am and then not turning up and you've got no one to turn to till at least 8am. Safer to do it thru agency, even if only the boat transfer. Mangaratiba is closer to Rio. An agency I used there was www.islandtravel.com.br, they speak english. ive just checked bus times and from mangaratiba to rio they are 5:30am and 9am, no good for you, from angra 6, 6:30, 7 but its about 30-40 min on normal boat, you'd need a speed boat and then its 3 hours to rio. You're really going to be pushing it unless its a private transfer all the way to the airport. Let me know and I'll help you how I can
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I think my friends and I will stick to going from Rio on the 5:20a bus to Mangaratiba and then catching the 8am ferry to Ilha Grande, and then taking the 3:30pm ferry back on the next day, to then catch a bus back to Rio. Not much time on the island, only 1 1/2 days, but I think that should be enough to give us a taste and also keep us on the safe side. Thanks again!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM

hiya, have just checked the ferry times for you. To mangaratiba on way back is 5:30 not 3:30 so you'll have nearly all day and be able to do an excursion then. Jus let the boat master know that you are catching the 5:30 ferry and you will be brought back in time for it. You'll have to had checked out of your room in the am, but they will prob let you change etc and leave your stuff, so try and get a room not too far away from port, or leave stuff at travel agency you book thru. You'll get hungry probably, on ferry and then bus, when I went in march with a mate we ordered a pizza and picked it up on way to ferry and ate it on board !Cheap and tasty. Then after getting to Rio and dumpin g stuff hit Lapa for some good rio nightlife.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

This is great! Thanks so much!