Search

OLD CANCUN??

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD CANCUN??

I'm leaving for Cancun in a few days and am very excited! Someone I spoke to suggested going to Old Cancun to do shopping. Of all the research I've done, I've never come across an Old Cancun. Is there really an Old Cancun, or did he just mean Downtown Cancun?
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
downtown
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Yes, there is an Old Cancun. I was there years ago. Let's see...12 years ago I guess. Anyway, it is beyond the popular hotel zone. We got directions from a local and took an extended bus trip beyond the hotel zone. It was far because I remember we walked back. But, we went there to find "good shopping" and that is what the fella told us we would find. Ha. Not back then. It wasn't anything to write home about.
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:48 AM

None of Cancun is all that old, but downtown does feel authentically Mexican with it's lovely little square with a park and merry go round off the main drag. A nice place to relax and people watch.
Downtown is definitely worth a visit; it is here you'll find the best restaurants -- no yucky chain food places like in the hotel zone! Have a wonderful time.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:13 AM

We are traveling to Cancun for the first time in June. Usually don't stay in the touristy areas of Mexico, but got a great package deal for one of the resorts. We'd like to avoid the chain restauarants and support smaller, more local places. Can anyone recommend a few in the hotel zone as well as the downtown area? We'd like to visit the area around the square at least once during our visit.