October in Costa Rica

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October in Costa Rica

So how rainy is it in October in Cost Rica???
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM

I recommend surfing over to weather.com to look at forecasts. While writing this message, I searched for a bookmarked web link to a page I once viewed, but could not immediately locate. The answer is 20-21 days each for Sept and October. I remember distinctly because we're leaving for CR in one week.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:01 PM

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/...rMap.html#rain

This will give you a good overview of how much rain and where. Typically, mornings are clear and afternoons bring the rain, hopefully for a couple of hours.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:25 PM

just back from CR and was also afraid of the rainy season. We did not have any days that were completely rainy. We did have rain - on a few afternoons... but beautiful beautiful weather. Please remember that the rain amount is based on elevation.... as is heat.... and being the way it is, the different regions experience different climates...

We LOVED CR, hope you end up going and having a great time.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Generally, I think that afternoon showers is generally the 'norm' but we did not find that to be true on our last trip. We just returned from 6 days in Nosara and rain everyday, almost all day everyday. In 6 days, we had maybe a total of 6 hours of sun. Very wierd and not the norm, at least not what I have experienced in the past. We also learned from our laywer in Nosara that July had 45 inches of rain and flooded many of the hotels! It's a good thing I was there to 'work' and not to play or I would have been very disappointed. An another point, it was absolutely beautiful. I've never seen so much green in the area! And, the temps were not bad either!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:53 PM

So maybe planning on spending most of the week in the north won't make any difference because they are having a lot of rain there. We are trying to schedule an October vacation. Here in Dallas we have had the rainiest summer ever!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:09 AM

Thanks, Shillmac, you nailed it. That's the site.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:33 AM

The Caribbean side is dry this time of year in CR. A good time to visit Tortuguero.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 11:38 AM

Ah...trying to predict the weather. Well...from the responses below, I would say they are all correct. October is also hurricane season, so depending on how that season is going to affect CR it could dappen plans. Will the rain really bother you? It may be rainy but it will still be hot!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Fortunately, Costa Rica is not affected much by hurricanes unless a big one is heading for Nicaragua and then the surf could get really rough along that side.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Normally October is the rainiest month in Costa Rica, however this is for the Pacific side of Costa Rica. The Caribean side have some dry period a lot of times, but it's never a guarantee. We agree with some posts that normally the mornings are sunny and in the afternoon the rain will come almost every day. Sometimes due to hurricanes in the Caribean see you may expect several days at a row tons of rain, but only if there is a hurricane close to the caribean shoreline of Costa Rica of Nicaragua like "Mitch" in 1998.
Have a nice time in Costa Rica!!