Oaxaca to Tulum

Nov 6th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Oaxaca to Tulum

My wife and I are wondering if it is realistic and safe to take the buses from Oaxaca to Tulum. We want some culture in Oaxaca and then some sun, ruins and chillin out in Tulum. Stopping along the way at interesting villages. How long would it take? We would have around 12 days total. Does that sound like a good trip?
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:35 AM

I think it is safe to take the bus from Oaxaca to Tulum. Whether it is realistic depends on how long you are willing to be on a bus. It is a long trip - don't know exactly but maybe 20???. With 12 days, you would have enough time..i would suggest stopping somewhere en route for a day or so - perhaps Palenque if you like ruins, or San Cristobal, or Merida. With a break it would not be bad. Mexico has some "luxury" busses that are very comfortable for not too much money. You may also want to fly if bus trip is too long - Oaxaca to Cancun, then bus (2 hours) from there.
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:58 AM

I agree with Howard. That is a long trip if you push through -- has to be 20 to 24 hours.

But there are lots of interesting places to stop on the way. You could do an overnight at Palanque, then Merida, then Villadolid (nearest town to Chichen Itza), then push on to Playa del Carmen or Tulum.

A very nice trip, but don't try to do it all at once. That would be torture.

Try ADO, Maya del Oro or Cristobal Colon bus lines.
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. We would not try to do it all at once. We're thinking a couple of nights in several towns. Absorb the culture and move on. An adventure instead of staying in one spot. Any thoughts on joining a tour or would that be too restrictive.
Nov 6th, 2003, 04:47 PM

you could do a tour, I suppose, but it wouldn't really be necessary. The guidebooks to Mexico are good enough that you can put togther an itinerary on your own (try Moon Guide for Oaxaca and Cadogan for the Yucatan), and the buses are great.
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:00 PM

Just wondering why you want to go to Tulum from Oaxaca. Why not go to the Pacific coast, which is so much closer? Puerto Escondido or Huatulco. With only 12 days, you will spend a fair bit of time traveling overland, even stopping at various towns.
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:34 AM

I did this bus trip. It took at least 24 hours. There was a civil war going on Chiapas at the time (is this still going on?) and the bus got stopped several times by soldiers and we all had to get off and empty our bags etc etc. We stopped in Villahermosa, an oil town, for 12 hours en route and just relaxed in the pool at some 5 star hotel. If you stop off a few times I think your plan is quite feasible although you should check out what is going on Chiapas first maybe.
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:25 AM

Chiapas is fine. The civil war was in 1996. We were there in 2001, and San Cristobal was great.

But I think a trip there is too much a diversion from the route from Oaxaca to Tulum.
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I am starting to think about just following the advice of going down to Puerto Escondido and Huatulco. Are these areas funky and low key? We don't want glitzy highrises or the touristy party scene. How is the water? We like snorkeling and beautiful clear water beaches. Is this the case or is the Pacific coast very different than the Tulum Carribean coast?
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:46 PM

We love Huatulco. Resorts are only 3 floors high on tangalunda Bay. other bays with nothing on them. Great snorkeling at San Agustin Bay and others. beautiful water. Spectacular drive down from Oaxaca. Very laid back but some good restaurants. Locals very friendly, Taxis easy and cheap.
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:06 AM

I second Rosalyn's love for Hualtulco. Not your usual Mexican beach resort town. It's a fairly new development, and they learned from the mistakes of Cancun and Acapulco.
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:12 AM

I would think that, unless you do something tricky, you will be routed through Villahermosa, Campeche, and on to Merida.

First: Don't miss Palenque near Villahermosa.

Second: You may be able to de-bus at Uxmal before Merida -- another marvelous ruined city.

Third: Enjoy Merida. It has a lot for the traveler.

Fourth: Think seriously about missing Tulum. It is a minor site and, save for its placement overlooking the ocean, it pales in comparison to other sites.

Fifth: If you are still game, check out Chichen -- halfway between Merida and the Coast.

In Merida try the Dolores Alba. They also have a hotel at Chichen.
Nov 13th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what I decide.