COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Bus from oaxaca to cancun area

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Bus from oaxaca to cancun area

Hello,
I am looking at doing a week of language school in Oaxaca and then meeting friends in the Playa Del carmen area (or meet them first, then on to Oaxaca). Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to travel by bus between the two ( i've heard everything from 10hours to 24 hours)? I would be taking one of the first class busses to save time. A flight starts at about $375, which is a bit pricey for my budget...or is saving the money just not worth the hassle?
Thanks!
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 04:42 AM

You should be able to get the info at www.ticketbus.com.mx (although I just tried and got an error). You might have to ask for a ticket from Oaxaca to Merida and then Merida to Cancun. It's been a long time, but when I took that route (via first-class bus), the trip to Merida, going through San Cristobal, was probably 24 hours, and then Merida to Cancun is about 6, I believe. There are other routes, but it's a LONG way no matter how you go. It's WAY more than 10 hours--I do know that.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 11:45 AM

The normal way to go from Oaxaca to Playa del Carmen area is taking the bus to Villahermosa, then to Chetumal and then to playa del Carmen. The distance is about 1400 kilometers and surely it takes no less than 20 hours!
From Oaxaca to Villahermosa it takes 10, there must be 10 more to Playa del Carmen.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:00 PM

That is one long bus ride! I would spring for the plane if at all possible. I'd gladly give $375 to avoid 24 hours on a bus (I'm not certain but I know it must be longer than 10 hours).