Search

Oaxaca election situation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca election situation

Hola!
I know Oaxaca has always been a hotbead of political activis but didn't realize we had planned a long weekend there that coincides with their elections. After reading:

http://upsidedownworld.org/main/mexi...-canadian-mine

should I be concerned that the July 4 election might create an unsafe sitiation? This is girlfriend trip- should I be concerned? Staying at the Camino Real. Any reassurances most appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:37 PM

I believe under Mexican Law, no alcohol can be sold on election days.

So yes, that may be cause for concern
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM

As you note, problems simmer under the surface, but I would expect no problems. Have been twice in the last year with nothing going on. Likewise I am contact with co-workers in Oaxaca on a daily basis and they are not reporting anything going on. Also I was there during the protest a few years ago. Even when the downtown had been taken over I did not feel unsafe until the end. At that point we left. In the highly unlikely instance there are protests you can relocate in town to someplace like Mission de Los Angeles on the other side of town or head elsewhere. Most likely you are going to have a great time with no problems. I'd like to go.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM

It's been a long time but we were in Mexico during an election and there were no restaurants open. You should check on that. If you're just there for a weekend that would be annoying.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

haha yes, I did read about the no liquor law, but didn't know about restaurants. Maybe we should time our visit to Monte Alban for that Sunday. Muchas gracias for the reassurances.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM

There is a chance nothing might happen. However, when I was there last week, I spoke with some journalists, academics and commmunity leaders, and they said that if the PRI steals the elections again this time, there may be a very violent civil unrest, the likes of which Oaxaca hasn't seen.

Its your call if you want to go or not with your gf under these circumstances.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM

When I was in Oaxaca, there were a couple of protests - one where they blocked the main road into town. I never felt unsafe - older female traveling alone - and thought it actually added some spice to my trip. Depends on whether you like the "spice" or not, really. If there are problems, you can probably easily avoid them.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:57 AM

I agree with hsmithcr. I was there for a week around mid June, and despite the protests and the police presence, I never felt unsafe. In fact, the Zocalo looked very lively. However, things are likely to take a nasty turn after July 4 if the PRI retains power through wide-scale fraud, which is where the situation seems to be headed at this point. On the other hand, if Gabino wins, you will have the time of your life! Gabino is immensely popular and made some very progressive changes as Mayor of the city. The PRI is not expected to give up its repressive tactics so easily though, so watch out.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:40 AM

I talked to friends in Oaxaca last Wed. (June 23). I am planning a trip to Oaxaca in late July (Guelaguetza). They said not to buy airplane tickets until after the elections, there might be violence. These people are life-long residents of Oaxaca. They said it's just a chance, but why risk it. If anything happens, portions of the city will be blocked off, including the Zocalo. Other tourists spots might be blocked off, too. So you might miss some of the best sites in Oaxaca, and find your freedom of movement restricted. It's not that you can't be safe in Oaxaca, you can be, but you just may end up missing some great venues. What a disappointment. And it's true, no alcohol sales on July 4th.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

well, we have a cooking class on the 2nd, a tour of the market towns on Saturday, and Monte Alban on Sunday scheduled. we leave Oaxaca city on the 5th to Huatalco.....
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Oaxaca in '06 at the height of the teacher's strike. Most of downtown seemed to be blocked off in one way or another. Lots of teachers in tents, but we still walked around freely despite the manifestaciones in the Zocalo. We never felt threatened. It was more like a picnic for the teachers than a real protest. The violence was mostly a few car burnings and some tear gas. Protests and demonstrations in Oaxaca just kinda come with the territory. Worst case, I'd imagine you'd have to hole up for an extra day at the Camino Real (not a bad thing), and be limited to the immediate area near the hotel, and a bus or 2 might be overturned blocking the road to the airport for a short time. Do you plan on driving or flying to Huatulco from Oaxaca? If it were me, (and I know it's not) I'd go and have the hotel concierge book the Cessna to Huatulco and let him keep you abreast of the conditions. I'd imagine the worst of any violence will be in the area the article described. That said, the strongest political statements are made in Oaxaca city. Even so, tourism is #1 in Oaxaca and the govt. will protect foreigners first. Buena suerte!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

we're booked on Aerotucan ...and now an earthquake, wow this is quite a trip!!and we haven't left yet!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM

If Gabino wins, try to head back for the city. I'm sure most of the communities will celebrate his (and their) victory. The people will be in a very joyful mood, which I wouldn't miss for anything. Good luck, and take care!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hey keds1: You'll be fine. Oaxaca is a wonderful city in spite of the inconveniences caused by the occasional civil strife. I'm convinced it's the best place to visit in all of Mexico. We celebrated our 25th anniversary there in the midst of the teacher's strike in '06 and had no problems. Since you're flying, let your hotel arrange for transport to the airport. It's not that far, and there are ways to avoid the main roads in case there's a blockage. Just allow plenty of time. And don't worry too much about earthquakes. Oaxaca has more earthquakes than any other state in Mexico. They're not uncommon. You'll have a ball!!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM

I'm so happy to see all the level-headed responses here, but do understand Keds1's concern.

The article linked in the OP refers to an incident that happened a good ways outside the city and in an area where a visitor would be most unlikely to go.

I don't want to trivialize in any way the political and civil concerns in Oaxaca, but it must be said that the sit-ins and demonstrations here are INTERESTING. For one thing, when the teachers are occupying the zócalo and surrounding areas, it lifts by default the ban on vendors in the zócalo and the adjoining square in front of the cathedral. As Zbuddha points out, there's quite a festival atmosphere with tons of local crafts or junk to buy and ad hoc eateries serving typical food.

Here is a picture report I did at this time last year. http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...ad=3496&page=1 (contains lots of links about the background of the political situation)
Apparently the vendors had just been rousted right before I got there, but the hastily abandoned tables and booths will give you an idea of how many are currently to be found there.

It's true about no alcohol, and I believe that ban starts at midnight, although there are always places that wink at that law. I've never known restaurants to be closed on election day.

Hope everything you've read here will make you eager to take your planned trip. Have fun!