Poas as the last day before San Juan Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of staying at the Poas Lodge the last day of my 12 day trip. My Family wants to be able to climb up the volcano and look in! IS this a good place to stay before flying out at 2PM the next day?
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM

You don't really climb up the sides of it. There's a big parking lot and you basically just park and then walk to the vantage point to look down into it. Lots of times it's enshrouded in fog, so it's best to go early in the day before the fog rolls in. I think it's a good spot to stay for a last night. It seems to get good reviews. Pack a jacket just in case; it was cold when we were there.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - I love that my question about the volcano was answered by volcanogirl! What do you think of Los Lagos at Arenal? My kids are enchanted by the photos of the water slides on line but I am still not sold and thinking of going to Il Silencio.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM

That is funny, sb - I didn't think about that! I think you guys would be happy at either place. Both of them get consistently good reviews. Have you checked the reviews and pics over on tripadvisor? That would give you a good comparison to look at.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

I think I will let my kids rule the day in Arenal and go with Los Lagos b/c you are right - they both get good reviews. Thanks again.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Not only does volcanogirl respond to the volcano question, but she knows what she's talking about to boot!

You'll definitely want to get to Poas early, both to increase your chances at seeing the crater, and also to ensure that you make it to the airport plenty early for your flight. It's an 1 to 1 1/2-ish hour drive to SJO from Poas and it's recommended you arrive ~3 hours before an international flight. If you have a rental car, you'll have to allot some extra time to drop it off and be shuttled over to the airport.

Poas is definitely a worthy site to behold, and I thought the drive up to the park entrance was beautiful. A good choice if you can fit into your last morning!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:00 AM

Are you talking about Poas Volcano Lodge? That was severely damaged during the last earthquake, and they are still rebuilding it, although they do have some rooms open. Or are you talking about Peace Lodge?
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM

Just don't jump in a taxi at the last minute and ask to tbe taken to San Juan. There is one. Just mention the airport.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM

Shooie, I believe there's a Poas Lodge and a Poas Volcano Lodge.

sb, I meant to mention that to you. You want San Jose, not San Juan.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Paos Lodge - I think they are the one that was not damaged (or so the website seems to indicate!). Thanks for all the great advice - I will be sure to leave plenty of time for the airport and return of the car
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM

Poas Volcano Lodge is open - http://www.poasvolcanolodge.com/aboutus.htm I would contact them and check the status of construction.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM

Thanks for your sweet comment, c!