Search

OAT average age?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OAT average age?

What seems to be the average age of people on the OAT tours? My husband and I are planning a trip to Peru and OAT seems to be a great outfit to travel with. But we are only in our 30's and from what I'm reading people travelling on OAT tours seem to be somewhat older.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Hi sandytalavera,

We have traveled with OAT on 4 trips with a 5th trip to Patagonia leaving on February 26. On our previous trips most people have been in their fifties or sixties with a few older couples on occasion. We also had a delightful 12 year old girl and her mom on a trip to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu.

Most of the people we have traveled with have been active and fit. Many have been avid hikers. If it's important for you to be surrounded by people in your own age group you might want to consider other options. Otherwise - go for it! OAT offers great value!

The trip leaders and guides are generally younger - in their 30's and 40's so that might make you feel better
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 07:36 AM

You'll never be sorry you chose OAT. We use to travel with companies that had full bus loads - up to 44. Now we only go with OAT....very active, busy tours - don't go to rest because it's very full filled days.

We just got back from Thailand with them and going to Egypt next month with OAT. Their guides are exceptional.

Age well, we've had from 18 to 80 and we are in our 60s and it was great. Stay physically active now and you'll be on the tours too when you reach 80.

Great company!!!

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:22 AM

Have you looked into G.A.P.? (http://www.gapadventures.com/) They are very highly rated.
My husband and I traveled to Peru using them in Dec./Jan. We had people in our group ranging from early 20s to late 40s. They were from Canada, USA, Sweden, England, Ireland, and Australia. It was excellent! The tour was a great mix of group and individual time, well organized, and the guides were fantastic.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM

We are doing a trip with REI this October in Peru -- have you considered their options? Groups are kept small and based on people shopping at REI, I would think the ages range from 30 and up. My husband and I travel independently most times because some of the organized tour groups tend to be older unless the trip you are considering involves active travel (hiking, biking, etc.).