Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Has ANYONE used or have any personal knowledge about Overseas Adventure Travel tours?

Search

Has ANYONE used or have any personal knowledge about Overseas Adventure Travel tours?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Anita

I'm a single 40ish female who wants to travel to places beyond my normal Europe trips but want to use an adventure tour company for safety reasons. I have been trying for days to get any input whatsoever from any Fodor's people on the company Overseas Adventure Travel (which I know has been in business for like 25 years and is one of the biggest of its type) on other Fodors boards and no one has responded. Has anyone here had experience with their Peru or other trips who can give me feedback on how it is to travel with that company? Thanks.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Chris

Hi - My sister has traveled exclusively with OAT for years and she loves them! She will not go with any other! They are well worth the money - small groups - great service- great planning and accomodations. She did the Peru and Galapagos trip, Thailand, Egypt and China with them. She is 55 years old and single. If you contact me, I can put you in touch with her email.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 11:54 AM
ellen

I have traveled with OAT on 6 trips and would not hesitate to recommend them. They have small groups, superior guides and generally good accommodations and food. The prices are quite reasonable. I went to Botswana and Zimbabwe with their company and the only way to make that trip better would be to make it twice as long. Turkey, Tuscany, Peru, Thailand, and Egypt were all excellent.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Anita

Thanks ever so for the feedback. Sounds good so far...although I have now read some negative comments on the rec.travel newsgroups about OAT trips.<BR>But sometimes it seems they get lumped in with Grand Circle (think that's the name) their parent company for the boos.<BR>Some rec.travel posts complained about having to sleep on the floor of native huts with OAT and share bathrooms with 17 people....did either of your experience uncomfortable lodging situations with OAT?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:27 AM
ellen

Grand Circle is not OAT although they are the parent company; there is a world of difference between the two companies. Almost always the trips are exactly as described. When we stayed at the farmhouse in Turkey, 16 of us slept on thick floor mats in 4 different rooms and there was indeed only one bathroom, but we knew about this before we booked the trip. Only one person hated the experience, but she hated everything anyway. It was a riot. EEEEE