Search

Overwhelmed by group travel options to South America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overwhelmed by group travel options to South America

Hi,

I'm a 31-year old female living in New York. I really want to go to South America sometime after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. I'm open-minded about where I'd like to visit in South America-- Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru, etc.

Since people have told me that I should not go solo, I've been looking at adventure travel options. But I haven't gotten any recommendations from friends about specific outfitters--I've just been finding groups online. One trip that I found is with TrekAmerica to the Amazon/Andes: http://www.trekamerica.com/tours/saaw.html

The thing is, I was told that only four people have signed up so far and they're in their mid-40's to mid-50's. I'd really like to do a trip that will have people closer to my age. Also, I'm not looking for a "budget" trip...I want the accomodations to be nice. I am wondering why this trip only costs $1600 for 14 days. Doesn't that seem dubious? Someone also just told me about Overseas Adventure Travel. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Sorry I can't help you more, but I would guess OAT will have a maybe older age group. I've seen budget is usually younger, the more expensive or luxury, up goes the age.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I have not traveled with OAT, but I have researched them and found this out:

OAT is the budget tour company from the parent company called Grand Circle Tours. OAT tends to lean more toward older travelers, has smaller groups, is faster paced and has more activities than GCT.

Have you considered Intrepid Tours?
http://www.intrepidtravel.com/
I traveled with them to China last year and would not hesitate to travel with them again. Infact I am searching today for a last minute tour to Patagonia or Peru over Christmas, but Intrepid tours are all sold out. That says a lot.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:45 AM

I travelled with Lost World Adventures to Peru and will be going with them to Argentina on my next 'lifelist" trip. Give Andrew Gilchrist a call and see what he can do for you. I have found the agency to be very flexible in itinerary and accomodations.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 12:27 PM

I've sent customers with Mila Tours and they were very happy. Eco Adventures have also been responsive to me in the past...