Search

Not getting sick in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not getting sick in Mexico

This will be our first trip to Mexico. We are staying at a nice resort in Cabo. We have always worried that if we went to Mexico we were going to get sick. So my question is do any of you know the best ways to ensure not getting sick? I have heard that for ice that you look to see if it has a hole in it and that it means it has been filtered? I heard somebody on here say not to have the fresh made salsa, that made me disappointed because I love salsa. Any information would be great so that I can relax a little and not worry too much
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Places dealing with tourists don't want you to get sick. They are required to use purified water and ice. Cabo is totally for the tourist, so don't be too worried. Go an enjoy yourself. I also take along a prescription of Cipro, just in case.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't take the prescription, but the Cipro to Mexico.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First no place wants you to get sick & tell about so the odds are minuscule that you will get sick. The ice is fine, but drink only bottled water. In 26 years of Mexican travel I have only been sick twice but times my own fault when a failed to clean salad in my home properly. Most of the "sickness" comes from over indulging in too much booze often combined with too much sun.
Anybody who tells you not to eat fresh salsa does NOT know what they are talking about. I eat it every day each year when I spend 4 months in Mexico.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you, that makes me feel a little better
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 08:51 PM
KVR

Just don't over eat or over indulge with the alcohol beverages. People on vacation tend to do that and upset their systems. I always take Pepto and Imodium just in case.

We found the food in Cabo fabulous. We have traveled to both sides of Mexico over the last 12 years and never had any issues.

Here's the link to our vacation photos from this past December. Notice all the yummy, delicious food photos of everything we ate. Enjoy!

http://kvrlvnphotogallery.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 04:11 AM

Wash your hands A LOT! It sounds so simple, but, many people don't do a good job of it.

Drink bottled water. I use bottled water to brush my teeth, but, in a resort, that might be overkill.

I also avoid any sort of buffet food. That might not be possible, depending on where you're staying. If you can't avoid them, make sure the hot food is hot and the cold food is cold. Once again, wash your hands before you eat, after you've handled all those serving utensils.

I do eat fresh salsa. I also eat lots of street food. Other than an occasional case of mild diarrhea, I've never been sick in Mexico.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 06:20 AM

you are going to a foreign country so there is an elevated chance of getting sick. embrace reality.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 08:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I go to Mexico every year and rarely have any issues. The week I was in Cabo I did not get sick at all. Restaurants there are wonderful.

My precautions are simply to stick with bottled water (yes even for brushing teeth). But ice in bars and restaurants is fine, it gets delivered from the purified plant. No tourist business is making ice cubes out of tap water.

I eat salsa. I eat tacos from street vendors.

Mostly I stick with cooked vegetables rather than salads. And I am careful about dairy. For me (years ago and not in Cabo) I one time had an issue I believe I could trace to sour cream and once a cream pasta sauce.

I would not stay at an All-Inclusive or eat from a buffet table where stuff had been sitting out.

I have never used any medications.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 08:30 AM
KVR

I have stayed at several all inclusive resorts in Mexico including Cabo, the food at AI resorts are just fine. I have never gotten sick eating in any of their restaurants or buffets. I don't feel that comment is fair especially since they have never been to an AI resort.

My trip reports are posted on this site if you are interested.