Search

Nosara vs. Samara

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nosara vs. Samara

Hello All - my husband and I are traveling to CR for 2 weeks in Dec 26 - Jan 8th. I have booked 2 nights at the Villa Taype in Nosara, but am concerned that Samara would be a better option. I have reserved a 4x4 from Avis - are the roads really that bad? Also, we'd like something to do in the eve - not into crazy discos scene, but a casual bar to chill out in would be great. We are 35 yrs and use our trips to escape kids, home, work, etc., and have fun together. We will be traveling from Playa Ocotal (Villa Casa Blanca). The only place I heard about in Samara that would book for 2 nights only was Hotel Giada, and I have heard bad reports which is why I selected Taype. Other area resort suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I've never been to Nosara, but we were in Playa Samara this past February and loved it. There are several restaurants and bars in town. Many of visitors there are Ticos from San Jose. It's lively without being crazy. We stayed at Las Brisas Hotel on the ocean. I understand that they have since closed for renovations but I'm sure they will be re-opened by December (if they are not already.) Las Brisas was simple but, very nice. You can choose either cottages facing the ocean, or a more traditional hotel room in a building located up a small hill. The first week of your trip (the week after Christmas), is the busiest travel week of the year for Ticos, so many hotels will fill up early. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Hi, for Samara info. put "mad" or villas kalimba into search...we are going to try it in Aug; sounds very nice! I'll let you know, Joyce
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:25 PM

The title is trip report-one month cost rica, I believe! Joyce
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Aqua Girl asked about the roads...the road to Nosara during the rainy season is quite poor and 4-wheel is recommended; however your trip is scheduled for the dry season (or relatively so) and the roads will not be as bad. As for the Brisas Hotel, it was closed for a month and has reopened. If you want something a bit more expensive you can try Villas Playa Samara. They are located at the far end of the beach away from the town.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:00 AM

I have never stayed in Samara, but have passed through and had lunch a couple times. Personally, I think the beach is prettier there, with more shade options and the town is more compact so you can park your car and walk to several different restaurants and shops. We have been to Nosara SEVERAL times (going again on Aug 19th) and love it so much we're building a hotel there. The beach is beautiful and never crowded at all, but as I said there is no shade. If you stay here I would suggest renting an umbrella from Coconut Harry's. Very cheap rental by day or week. As for Villa Taype, although we always stay there, I'm not sure I would recommend it, UNLESS you are staying in one of the newer rooms. The cheaper rooms around the pool are where we always stay, because we get a great rate as we've been there so often, but the showers are sometimes in poor shape. The last time we were there, in May, we brought a cheap shower head from home and it was great. We just left it there. It's in room 3, where my sister was staying. We had room 4 which had a decent shower, but the shower door was a bit of a pain because it's a little 'bent' and was sticking. Long story short, they are trying to sell the hotel and don't spent much money on upkeep. The service is also pretty poor. There is not always someone around to get you a cold drink. We found ourselves just helping ourselves if no one was around. We didn't feel all that comfortable doing that, but hey, it was hot and we wanted a refreshment! Of course if you stock up your mini-fridge in your room you'll be fine, and as I said the newer, more expensive rooms are nice. We love the location of Villa Taype as it's a very easy walk to the beach, and the pool is nice and large, just be careful of what room you get. Make sure and check out the shower before accepting a room, which might be hard to do in the timeframe you're looking at as most likely, the hotel will be booked that time of year. It was when we were there early Jan. 2001.
If you want something a bit nicer, look at the new rooms Casita Romantica, or the new rooms as Gilded Iguana.
Sorry I can't help with hotels in Samara, as we've never stayed there.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Ally, We are going to Nosara next week. Where is Coconut Harry's? We are staying at Casa Romantica again and desperately need to rent umbrellas. I wrote Casa Romantica but they do not have any. Where will your hotel be located?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Coconut Harry's is on the main road, across the street from Cafe Paris and next door to Marlin Bills.
Our hotel will be on a little hill just south of Cafe Paris about 1/4 mile. It's somewhat in the area of Harbor Reef, only higher up. We hope to 'break ground' in Oct. or Nov. so it will be a while before we open, we're HOPING for Nov. 2005. It will be a small (8 room) luxury hotel. Come back and see us!
I know, NO advertising on this site...sorry.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Karen, here's a map of Nosara.

http://www.nosaratravel.com/Map.html
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Ally - we have to find out a way you can let us all know the status of your development - without feeling like you are "advertising" cause I know I'm definitely interested to see how it comes along! It sounds like it will be a great place! Did you get to see El Jardin del Eden - what did you think?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Ally, Thanks so much for the map. there is something so confusing about Nosara. It is so small but we end up getting turned around so easily.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Sclubb, no haven't seen it yet. We are flying into Libreia on the 20th and will go by on our way to Nosara. Can't wait to see it!

Karen, you're welcome for the map, I hope it helps!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:32 AM

We stayed at Villas Playa Samara, and I wouldn't recommend it. It was expensive, no food included, difficult to get a villa near the beach. Also about a 5-10 minute drive from town. It is a time share, I think, and there were primarily families there. The pool was pretty (and large), but when my husband got in (there were tons of little children in the pool), he didn't stay long because he saw floating poop! My memory is failing me, but recently someone posted about a new place in Samara, Villas some-thing or other--in town and on the beach. We checked out Las Brisas, but there was still construction, and we weren't impressed with the rooms. They didn't match the price!
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 03:19 PM

I would stay away from Taype in Nosaro - place is not kept up and management is poor.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I have decided to book in Samara and hope for the best.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 08:47 AM

topping