Search

Samara vs. Carillo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samara vs. Carillo

I'm surprising my husband with a trip to Costa Rica in early June. Any thoughts on staying in Playa Samara versus Playa Carillo? Is there just not much to do in Carillo? I emailed Las Brisas hotel in Samara and they will be closed for renovation in June, which is why I'm considering a stay a little further out of town. We're not really into the nightlife, and would rather spend time exploring/hiking/snorkeling.

Other questions:
Rincon de la Vieja. Worth the effort? And where to stay if Rincon de la Vieja Lodge never responds to emails.

Rock climbing around Playa Naranjo. I've heard spots exist, but can't get any specifics from the climbing gyms in San Jose.

thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Playa Samara and Playa Carillo are only about 15 minutes apart. You can stay in one and spend the day at the other if you wish. It's unfortunate that Las Brisas is closed when you planning your trip. We stayed there in February and loved it. Further down the same road (closer to Playa Carillo)is Villas Playa Samara. One day we visited the complex and saw one of the villas, but didn't actually stay there. The place looks really nice and is located directly on the water. The hotels in Playa Carillo are all located across the main street from the beach. In addition, while Samara is not exactly bustling, there are some nice restaurants and bars. Playa Carillo has one decent restaurant and almost nothing else, except one of the most beautiful (and deserted) beaches in Costa Rica.
I've been to Rincon twice. I wouldn't bother staying overnight there. If you get an early enough start you can do it as a day trip from Samara, or spend the night in Playa del Coco or Playa Ocotal.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info. don't know why there's not much out there on rincon. perhaps that answers my question.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Oh, don't pass on a chance to travel to the Rincon! It is ideal for day trippers. . .truly beautiful and peaceful. Doesn't get a lot of hype, but everywhere who ventures there seems to think it was just great! We certainly did! Sometime when I have more days and have seen some other parts of the country, I would like to spend 2 or 3 days at one of the Rincon lodges. Give it a try. . .you won't be disappointed!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Definitely check out Borinquen Resort in the Rincon as well as Los Inocentes furthr north. Also you might look at Buena Vista Lodge. I don't know anything about the Rincon de La Vieja Lodge. Borinquen is very nice. We were there for a day enjoying a nearby canopy tour, the mud baths and hot springs, a huge waterslide down the mountain, and lunch. The property was nice, although I am uncertain about the rooms!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Santafean--

My family returned yesterday from our Costa Rican vacation, and although we did not stay in Playa Carillo or Samara, we visited both. For my money, Carillo has the better beach, soft white sand fringed with palm trees. But other than the beach, there is little by way of activities or amenities. We had dinner at El Sueno Tropicale, a little inn and restaurant owned by three gentlemen from Verona. The Italian cuisine was surprisingly good and authentic, with an assortment of Italian wines, to boot. Unfortunately, the inn is not on the beach, and in fact, lies three kilometers or so east of the heart of Playa Carillo.

Samara has an enormous beach, some shops and shoreside restaurants and small hotels. I can suggest El Ankla for terrific seafood. It's on the beach about two blocks east of the intersection of the main and beachside roads.

I don't know your budget, but I can also recommend Hotel Punta Islita a few miles down the road from Carillo. Since June is rather slow for that Hotel, some bargains may be available. There are many outdoor activities there, including horseback riding, river kayaking, hiking in the dry rain forest. There's a descriptive website at www.hotelpuntaislita.com. If you're interested, direct an email to Tania and ask for the hotel's off-season rates and packages. It's a spectacular place!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Would stay in Samara, just got back and would not want to stay by Carrillo. No where on the beach to stay and road right behind beach. Very beautiful beach though and a $4 cab ride from Samara to spend the day. You could always just go and pick a place when you get there. the Las Brisas is where we stayed and it was booked but seemed everywhere else had rooms available.