Search

Nicoya or Osa or both?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicoya or Osa or both?

We'll be in Costa Rica for 2 weeks at the beginning of June for our honeymoon. We will definitely be spending a couple of days in the Arenal area and several in Manuel Antonio. Until recently we've had Monteverde as the other major area to visit, but after reading quite a bit of advice, I'm considering skipping Monteverde, and spending a few days either exploring the Nicoya Penninsula or staying Bosque del Cabo.

We both love to hike and explore, but since this is our honeymoon, also might want to have a couple of days to lounge about. Most likely we'll be relying on interbus or flights to transfer locations.

thanks for any suggestions.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:32 AM

Bosque del Cabo offers a nice mixture of relaxation and adventure. The Nicoya does also. They are different in that the Nicoya has more night life in some areas if you are interested in that. June would be a fairly quiet time for either place.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 10:28 AM

The Nicoya is a nice area with plenty to explore and do. It is definitely an area you will want to explore some time or another because it is a very popular area of Costa Rica. We have not been to the Osa and have plans to do that soon. Both are areas that you will probably want to visit at some time or another. There just isn't anyplace is Costa Rica that is not worth exploring!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:53 PM
mad

I would absolutely go to Bosque Del cabo for your honeymoon. I was there in Febuary and loved it. it's really romantic and there's tons to do. I would also skip Monteverde, as I wish we had. After Bosque, it was not at all impressive, unless you're into birdwatching. The guided treks at Bosque were better than at Monteverde and the weather can't compare (Monteverde was cold and rainy). However, with that being said, you are isolated out there in terms of nightlife. we went to bed at 9 every night, which was great, but depends what you're looking for.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Iza

It really depends on what you want to do: Osa is mostly covered by rain forest so hotels are mostly isolated jungle lodges - great for solitude, hiking and experiencing nature. It may be very hot and humid. Nicoya Peninsula is in a large part covered by pastures with patches of tropical dry forest so it is not as lush and green as Osa. It is also more developed with lots of hotel choices, golf etc (although there are still large undeveloped portions of it waiting to be explored - they are not easy to get to however, the roads are terrible). The weather tends to be hot and drier than in other parts of Costa Rica.

From your description of your likes and dislikes, you would probably enjoy Osa or some less developed area on Nicoya Penninsula like Malpais.

Let me know if you are interested in my trip reports (MA, Osa, Arenal and Tamarindo in 2001 and Malpais, Nosara, Tamarindo and Arenal in 2003).
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Just got back from Bosque Del Cabo and Las Brias in Samara, Monteverde and Arenal we were gone 2 weeks and enjoyed all very much. Enjoyed the thrill ride of Selventura Canopy tour zip lines in Monteverde, and I am scared of heights. Liked the Osa the best. For honeymoon I think the Cabanas overlooking the ocean at Bosque Del Cabo would be for you. The Las Brias was not that nice but was fine for what we needed and had a relaxing time in Samara. We also fished in the Osa and caught big Sailfish, 8 for 4 people.