Search

New Exit Stamp System

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Exit Stamp System

I will be traveling to Costa Rica in July and would like some feedback from anyone who has traveled down recently (or is living there currently) regarding the new exit stamp system. I've read several reports that travelers have been delayed - to the point of missing flights in some cases - because the new system is so disorganized. Has this been resolved? Is it possible to purchase the exit stamp prior to the date of departure like you used to?
Terri
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:20 PM

I'm confused as to what exit stamp system you are talking about - is it the $17.00 exit fee? I was there 2 weeks ago and paid it in 5 minutes at the booth - do not pay the guys who try to collect it out front as the money doesn't go to the so-called "children's fund." Flying out of Liberia in Feb. I made it to airport with 1/2 hour to spare and didn't have a problem making flight. I don't think it's payable ahead of time. Marilynn
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Marilynn - thanks for your response. I am referring to the exit fee. As I understand it, Costa Rica has just instituted a new computerized system for collecting exit fees. It sounds like you can no longer simply purchase the stamp at a booth as was done in the past and must now stand in line and complete a form in order to receive your exit stamp. (This is partly an attempt to crack down on the sale of fraudulent stamps outside the airport.) Any experience at SJO with this new process?
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:30 PM

Sorry, the only paperwork we did was our exit papers that they request. You fill them out before you can get your boarding pass. Must be very new.
Marilynn
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:02 PM

You can pay the exit tax in advance at branches of Bancredito (which also might say on the sign outside "BCAC" or "Banco Credito Agricola de Cartago&quot. There still are some problems: 1) You'll find Bancredito branches in San Jose or the provincial capitals, but you won't be close to one if you're, say, at the beach or Arenal or Monteverde. 2) Lines at the state-run banks, of which Bancredito is one, are pretty horrendous. 3) Travel agencies are now permitted to do this on your behalf. Not all do, and many that do will charge a fee for their time. But once again, you won't find a travel agency at the beach or in outlying areas, so this becomes something you have to take care of in San Jose.
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Jeff - thanks so much for your response and advice! Do you know if there are branches of Bancredito in Alajuela or Grecia? (We'll be staying near both.)
Terri
Old May 18th, 2003, 08:19 PM

t
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:01 PM

I just exited last week and it only took a few minutes to wait in line and pay the tax.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

That's great news - sounds like they've worked the kinks out of the new system. Thanks!