airport tax to leave Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that you can buy the exit tax somewhere other than the airport in San Jose rather than standing in line on departure day, does anyone know where this is and how to go about buying the check? Thanks Buck
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I don't know about the check, but I do know when you arrive, you are able to purchase the departure check near the customs line. There's a desk you cannot miss when you're waiting in line to go through customs. We did this, it was quick and easy and they take credit cards. Just don't loose the paperwork they give you during your trip!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Not away from the airport, but someone suggested paying it when you arrive and cutting down on the hassles when it is time to leave.

Keith
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM

We've always just paid it when we left - no huge lines or anything; it's been pretty easy for us. I think the total is $26 each. There are two desks available where you can purchase it.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 02:31 PM

You can pay the tax at offices of Bancredito, but lines in Costa Rica's state banks are so horrendous that it would cost you a lot more time than paying it at the airport.

I'm with volcanogirl on this one. The tax line at the airport moves pretty quickly. I always pay it when I leave. There are two counters. Everyone always makes a beeline for the one across from the TACA check-in counters. The second one is across from the American counters, and most people don't see that one because it's partially blocked by the screen showing flight arrivals and departures. There's never a line at that one.

You can pay with a credit card, but it gets processed as a cash advance, and you end up paying additional fees on it. I always make a point to just set aside $26 or the equivalent in colones to pay it in cash.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

To Owlwoman,
Would you tell me what paperwork I am supposed to keep during my trip, is that got anything to do with the exit tax? Thanks for all the help, Buck
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM

The only "paperwork" you need to carry while in CR is your passport. I usually leave my passport in the hotel safe and carry a photocopy instead
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM

The paperwork owlwoman is referring to is the slip of paper that shows you paid the tax. If you pay it when you arrive, make sure you don't lose that piece of paper. You have to turn it in when you check in for your return flight. Otherwise, you'd have to pay the tax again.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:07 AM

There are supposedly a couple of larger resorts that can sell you the exit stamp but I can't say which ones. I just stay in little places.

I too just buy mine when I depart the country. It never takes very long. When my husband and I leave together we split up and I get in the check out lane and he takes the passports and buys the exit stamps. You do need to fill out the back of the papers.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM

The larger resorts that sell the airport tax are up in Guanacaste and do it with the idea of helping their guests avoid the congestion at Liberia's airport. I can't tell you which ones do it either.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Thanks Jeff, couldn't have said it better myself!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Another thing that SOME of you might want to keep in mind: Nature Air (in Pavas) flies to Bocas del Toro, Panama, so you can buy exit tax there.

I experienced a longer-than-usual wait there for a flight to Puerto Jimenez this past July. While waiting, I went upstairs and paid the exit tax to leave the country the following week.

So anyone, using that airport for domestic travel around CR, could certainly do the same.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Just back from CR and paid the exit tax at the airport with no wait, just walked right up windows open. They do sell it at the Aurola Hotel but the system was down for the 2 days I was there, airpot, no problem, just have a pen as the back has to be filled out before check in. Buck