Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Argentina - Baggage Weight Limit Enforced?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving soon on a trip to Argentina with four inter-country flights with Aerolineas Argentinas and the info from my tour company says I'm limited to 35 lbs weight per bag. Is this enforced? I want to just check one bag and can stay under 50 lbs with it, but with three different climates to pack for, I can't stay under 35 lbs and wondered whether to pack two bags instead. I would really like to stick with checking one and one light carry on.

Thank you
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM

You might consider packing a duffle inside of your large bag. Pack for each intercountry flight as needed and leave the rest in luggage storage at your BA hotel between trips.

So, pack lightweight clothing for Iguazu and leave your ski jacket with the hotel in BA. When you return, exchange light weight for heavier clothing before you take off for Patagonia. And so forth....
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

That's a good idea, but won't work for our trip because we leave BA and then head out and go from city to city and then get back in BA just in time to fly back out.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Our agent sent us 3 reminders that the weight limit would be enforced so we just took things out of our bags until they were under the 15kg weight limit. We had the same problems as you with the temperature extremes. You probably will not be able to have the luxury of light carry-on. Can you use a luggage storage/locker in BA airport? Have you considered hiring your warm clothes in Patagonia? I read a thread here on Fodors a while ago about that being possible.
They would let you carry your heavy coat(unweighed) as well as a carry-on bag.The heating all over Patagonia is turned up very high. You will not need warm stuff inside at least.Remember not to buy too much while you are there.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM

OOPS, Just reread your reply. You don't pass through BA it seems. Sorry, can the locker idea.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM

I am pleasantly surprised to learn you found point-to-point travel in Argentina. Most flights use Buenos Aires as a hub, which requires a good bit of doubling back.

Regarding your question: Aerolineas is not the most efficient airline in the world. Enforcement might or might not be uniform, and could well vary from agent to agent. This is my way of saying...Yes, the rule is enforced...except when it is not. But you cannot count on finding a person who checks you in who just happens to overlook limits....assume you will find a zealous agent who will charge for excess weight....

I have heard that Aerolineas waives this rule if you use Aerolineas to fly into the country....Otherwise, assume it is enforced. And be patient in the airport...take a good paperback to read while you wait for your flight....if you are taking four intercountry flights...odds are good that severawl of them will be late.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM

We took six flights within AR on AA and LAN three years ago and had the same dilemma, our bags each weighted around 50-60 lbs, we were never charged once. We flew American Airlines down, someone said since we had come down on an int'l flight, they waive the weight restrictions.

I hope you have the same luck!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 06:58 AM

We just returned from 2 weeks in Argentina and had 2 inter-country Aerolineas flights and 2 LAN flights and neither airline paid any attention to the weight of our checked bags (which were more than 35lbs each). We may just have been lucky, but, if so, this was the only luck we had on these inter-country flights! Between cancelled flights and delays, we spent a lot of time in the domestic airport. I recommend making sure you have a good book with you (and plenty of patience) at all times! Have fun.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM

We checked four pieces on internal flights from BsAs to Ushuaia and did not get charged either time even though domestic restrictions call for a one bag per person limit. (We were well within the weight limits.) On the other hand, returning from Ushuaia, some friends of ours were charged for their extra bags. It seems like it's luck of the draw.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Enforcement depends upon what the gate agent ate for breakfast that morning, whether she likes your smile, her opinion of George Bush and whether she believes you might be a supporter...and any number of other variables beyond the realm of reason or predictability. It would be best to assume weight limits will be enforced and consider it a bonus if they are not.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Just returned from trip and will post some of the answers I discovered to my questions and will try to do trip report soon.

No, we didn't have any problems at all with overweight luggage. We weren't terribly over either - we clocked in at 18-19 kilograms on each bag and never had an agent say anything to us on five intercountry flights.