Never-ending Question...Mexico Sim Card.

Old Aug 7th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Never-ending Question...Mexico Sim Card.

My last stay in Oaxaca I bought a Telcel SIM card and due to my very limited Spanish skills, didn’t get quite what I was hoping to get, the ability to call the US, or at least text, if I needed to. My question is this, is there an economical one to buy in advance of my trip that will give me what I want. The ability to top up online would be a plus. I plan to be in Mexico for months this time so it seems even more important.

An aside, I will arrive in San Cristóbal de las Casas mid-Oct and plan to also visit Guanajuato over the next several months, maybe Oaxaca again. I’m sure I’ll have more questions of a logistical nature but right now am wondering if any of you out there plan to be around over the winter and would like to meet up, itineraries permitting.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you haven't already, maybe start by navigating Telcel's US site:
https://us.telcel.com
It looks like you can by a Sim before you travel and have it mailed to you.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

A possibility that hadn’t occurred to me. Thanks, baldone, I’ll do that.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

I had a look on the Telcel US site and they seem to be targeting US customers calling Mexico, rather than from Mexico, except for a short-term traveler sim. I’ve looked on Amazon and found the offerings confusing, in the too much information way, but guess I’ll have another go at sorting them out.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 10:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I knew they were US numbers, but wondered that since you said you wanted to send texts to the US, that you might want your recipients to do so too without them being an international SMS. I did see that Telcel's Amigo Sin Limite 200 plan has 1.5 gig and unlimited texts and calls to the US for $200 mxn, or about $11 US. Equivalent plan on Amazon is $32.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have a different website for people in Mexico (Telcel). I could be wrong, but I don't think they have a SIM for people in Mexico wanting to call US, unless you have an existing Telcel account of another kind.

YOu could try this one
https://www.comfi.com/Phone-Card/Mariachi
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those, I’ll check them both out. And I suspect I’ll survive if I end up with just a cheap Mexico only one like last time. Sometimes it’s better not be TOO available from home.