Neighborhoods in Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the most important neighborhoods we need to visit in BA and should we try and group two or three together to save time so we are not criss-crossing the city. We are in BA for three nights and staying at the Marriott. Can we walk to Puerto Madero from the Marriott and then walk to La Boca? It looks like they are close on the map but that could be deceiving.

We have looked at some walking tours around the micro-center and will probably do that on our first half day. We then have Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Taxis are exceedingly inexpensive in Buenos Aires. You will be able to see the neighborhoods from your central location. I highly recommend you consider arranging a city tour for your first full morning. I found Recoleta, Palermo, La Boca and San Telmo interesting. Have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM

From Plaza San Martín (Marriot Plaza)you can walk to Recoleta, or to Puerto Madero, or to Plaza de Mayo and San Telmo

You cannot walk to La Boca, you can take a taxi or a bus
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for you reply. When we go to La Boca where do we tell the taxi driver we want to get off at? We want to see the main part, and eat there. I have read that we have to be more careful in La Boca.

Which neighborhood would be good at night time. We usually walk around the cities until 11 pm. Would Puerto Madero be a nice place at night and then get to our hotel safely? I have never felt unsafe at night but I don't want any uncomforable feelings either.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM

From the Marriot to San Telmo &Puerto Maderoyou can walk but I would take a taxi. Always call for radio taxis
to be on the sure side.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM

I think oyu can just say "La Boca" to the driver and he'll know exactly where to take you. The main tourist area there is very concentrated.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM

I have been to BA twice and I would say the quarters to should visit are San Telmo, Palermo, La Recoleta, La Boca and Puerto Madero.

We did La Boca on a tour and the guide recommeded us not to go far from "Caminito" the famous street with colorful ateliers. I wouldn't eat there though, it's not a place to stay longer.

Puerto Madero it's a safe place to go at night for dinner or just to walk along. If not too far from your hotel I would walk (you can ask for advice in reception).

I strongly recommend you to go to San Telmo. On Sundays they have a nice antique market and there is also many good restaurants to eat.

Taxis in Buenos Aires are cheap. Also you can take remises (taxis w/ fix prices from one place to another).

Hope you enjoy and have a good trip!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM

I would agree on the Caminito part of La Boca - there's nowhere interesting to eat. The places to eat require either knowing your way around (it is walkable during the day, though it helps to know where you're going), or taking a taxi - places like Patagonia Sur (expensive, creative Patagonian cuisine), or El Obrero (classic old style parrilla, and cheap), or Il Mattarello (some of the best Italian food in the city) - are all worth visiting if you're out that way.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Otra vez, saltshaker's Il Mattarello is among the very best - we just returned from 2 weeks in Italia y Louisa es primera generacion Italina - few better there.
Buen provecho.
M
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Opps, L is Italiana.
M
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:27 AM

We'll have a total of 9 nights in Buenos Aires next April, broken up by a trip to Salta in the middle. We're thinking of staying part of the time in one neighborhood before Salta and part in another when we fly back.

La Otra Orilla in Palermo Viejo and the Cocker in San Telmo are two current prospects.

Does that sound like a good plan? Would it be better to do more or less days in one area or the other? We like cafes (sipping wine or coffee), window shopping, restaurants (interesting but not super high-end) and parks.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM

One Saturday or Sunday day in Buenos Aires: STREET MARKETS

La Boca is for a short stay,no more than 2 hours. Good time to arrive 11 am

San Telmo. 1 pm good time to arrive. Markets in full swing. Have lunch there.Restaurant: La Brigada, excellent meat and good wines.

Recoleta: 4 pm. Lots of stands to see
lots of things to buy. and then dinner in the area to crown the day.
Restaurants: too many restaurants, too difficult to decide but many locals like me love Cumana.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM

alan64
Staying in two different neighbourhoods is fantastic when you have at least 2 nights in each one. That will make you taste 2 different areas, both of them nice and safe, full of restaurants and shops.

If i had to choose i would take Palermo and Recoleta.
The Otra Orilla is a beautiful house with an excellent service. Very good people.
Recoleta would be the place for my second stay.

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM

I am trying to contact Cmcfong regarding the Aldebaran hotel in Bariloche. Could you - or anyone else who has stayed there, tell me about your experience there. On their website, there are no photos of the views, but I believe it is right on the lake.It seems odd that they don't market the views from the rooms.

Thanks
Sally
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Sally: before her trip, cmcfong was a VERY active researcher on this and other forums.
She wrote a lot, both before and after her trip.
Her report about the Aldebaran is here:
http://tinyurl.com/yw2hll
Did you get my e-mail?
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Hola Sally. I loved the Hotel Aldebaran. Take a look at my review on Trip Advisor and let me know if you have any questions. I loved the view of the mountains from the room and we did have a very nice little patio area so I could sit in the late afternoon and enjoy the gardens and the views....OK and the wine! I would return there in a minute.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Sally: I'm pretty sure I posted earlier today suggesting a way to get in touch with cmcfong, but my post is no longer there, for some reason or other.
Anyway, cmcfong has already answered your question.