Search

Need Osa HM help please...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Osa HM help please...

My fiance and I are getting married in Manuel Antonio, CR in August. We are then heading to Osa for four nights. We booked BDC, based on the rave reviews on TA but lately there have been a few negative posts about the money. I know its pricey so my question is...is it worth it? We chose it based on the fact that my FI will be able to surf and I don't know of another spot in Osa to do so (besides Pavones).
What about Lapas Rios?
Iguana Lodge?
Any other suggestions or thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM

"You can't take it with you so enjoy life while you can."

If you like that motto then go with BDC.

We had an incredible time there. If you like wildlife, good food, hiking trails and the freedom to do what you want, the BDC is for you.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM

I saw those posts on TA as well and I'm not too concerned. I think even a couple of those posters may have been travelling together and it just wasn't their thing.

BDC has always been a wonderful place as you can tell by the numerous positive posts both on TA and here on Fodors. The owners/management haven't changed hands and I know they take the utmost pride in the lodge there. If there were something or someone who hasn't lived up to visitors or their expectations I know they would take action to correct it. Also, there are always going to be interns and staff in training, no matter where you stay.

I will be returning for 5 nights in the 1st week of April and I can't wait!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM

I'm really surprised that BdC would get negative reviews; usually it gets nothing but raves - we went this past July and were really impressed. Maybe some people go without realizing what they're getting into. We did a lot of research beforehand so we knew there were no locks on the doors, outdoor showers, no blow dryers - that type of thing. There was a young couple there when we were there, and she seemed a little out of her element - very perplexed that she wouldn't get a key to her room and that she was going to shower outside. Really it's an amazing place; the food and service we had were incredible, great tours, wonderful hiking, and the wildlife really is jaw dropping - howlers, spider monkeys, capuchins, toucans, and wild scarlet macaws all right on the grounds. And our room had a beautiful view of the ocean. I wouldn't hesitate to go back or to recommend it. Of all the Osa spots on this board, BdC has the most loyal following and most everyone who goes is dying to go back.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM

I read those reviews as well, also got the impression they were traveling together.

I think in any place, even such a wonderful place like BdC you will find people who it just isn't their thing or complain for the sake of it. I think with all the people here that post trip reports & photos have accurately represented BdC for what it is and what it is not. I think anyone expecting accomodations like the Ritz or something will be of course disappointed; same as someone expecting 5 course dinners with a huge wine selection.

Bosque reigns at the top for what it does offer - outstanding wildlife opportunities, well kept, well designed & clean cabinas, friendly & caring staff, beautiful views & scenery etc etc. Keep in mind Bosque is an hour away from a very small town, modern conveniences are not at the end of a phone call (if there were even phones!) and they do all of this will preserving the environment & being very eco conscious.

I look at it this way - people are going to complain reagrdless. In fact some of the reviews I can't help but laugh at (while feel sorry for the hotel) - I've seen some who blame the hotel cause it rained during their stay, pan the hotel as dirty as there were geckos in their room and complain that there was no a/c (an older Iguana Lodge review that I got a kick out of). I think if you look at ALL of the reviews for BdC you will find them overwhelmingly positive, not just "nice place" but long reports about their wonderful time there. I would look thru all of them and base a decision based on that, not on some people who maybe didn't research enough to know what they were getting. I mean, plop me down in an AI up in the NW and no matter how nice, I would probably write a mediocre review. Why? Cause it's not my scene and that would colour everything about my stay there.

As I said, I would take ALL of the reviews into consideration not just 1 or 2 recent ones.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM

ttt
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I always take negative reviews with a grain of salt but I just needed some reassurance. We will stick with our plans=)
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Went to BDC on my honeymoon...then took my parents there less than a year later. Wish I could go back today! You won't regret your choice...best wishes and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Good for you! Please come back & tell us all about it, especially about your worries/how you felt afterwards being there. Do you know what cabina you'll be in?
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 06:13 AM

I was going to ask the same thing - do you know your cabin assignment? If you can get it, Mariposa is kind of known as the honeymoon cabin - it's on the end so it has a degree of privacy and also has a bathtub.

I remember sitting at dinner one night and they brought out homemade brownies with vanilla ice cream - sometimes I was wondering how they can do all this in the jungle?
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

I will definitely do a report when we return! I don't know which cabin we'll be in but I did mention Mariposa when I emailed Phil. I'm going to email him again to see if that is indeed the cabin we're getting. We are so excited. It will be the perfect end to our wedding/HM trip, I'm sure!
Thanks again!