Need HELP with Last Minute Itinerary to Belize

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I will be traveling to Belize for a 8 day/7 night stay in early August. I have not yet made any hotel reservations because I need help in finalizing the itinerary. Here's what I'm thinking so far for the trip, in terms of the itinerary (in date order): Arrive in Belize City mid-afternnon and transfer to San Ignacio for two-night stay in order to visit Tikal; travel to Placencia for a two-night stay to visit Dangriga and other locations near the Southern coast; and finally, transfer to Caye Caulker for a 3 night stay.

My first question is does this itinerary make sense logistically? My second question, what is the best way to travel between our destination cities? Should we fly between the cities, and if so, how do we go about making the reservations? Or, should we take a bus, or hire drivers? Last, what hotels would you recommend in these areas? I will be part of a 3-person travel party, which will include my pregnant (who will be 5 months pregnant at the time) - so I will need a hotel that has air-conditioning in the room.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 08:36 AM

I'm not going to be much help with lodging options because we're budget travelers, largely by choice, and often don't have electricity let alone ac. For that you can check out the Belize Forum; the Toucan Trail section there is an excellent resource for budget to mid priced options if you're interested:

www.belizeforum.com

As for the itinerary, with only 7 nights I'd leave out a stop - way too much moving around IMO. I'd arrive, bus or shuttle (often available through hotels and lodges and easier than bussing since you don't have to taxi to the airport 1st) to San Ignacio for 2 or 3 nights, do an overnighter to Tikal (don't believe there's ac there, though), take the Linea Dorada bus from there straight through to Belize City, and ferry or fly to Caye Caulker to spend your last 3 or 4 nights.

Save Placencia for your next visit. Dangriga isn't the greatest place to visit; we spent an hour or so poking around which was plenty for us. Enjoyed Hopkins, though. We pretty much loved everything we did and everywhere we stayed. Our photos and travelogue are here if you're interested:

www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

With just 2 main bases and a side trip to Tikal you'll have plenty of variety and some time to explore and also to relax and enjoy that great Belize vibe. Have a great trip and be sure to tell us all about it when you get back. Happy trails!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM

You're moving around to much with not enough time in Cayo or the south. I'd opt for one beach area and more nights in Cayo
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for quick replies and great information. I really appreciate the advice. Again, I will be part of a 3-person travel crew and my proposed itinerary reflects the wishes of each person - a visit to Tikal, a visit to Dangriga to experience a bit of the Garifuna culture, and time to relax on Caye Caulker.

In considering your advice, it sounds like I should add an extra night in Cayo and another night in whatever place I choose for the base of our second leg of the trip. If we choose Caye Caulker for the second base of our trip, is it possible to take a day-trip to Dangriga from the island?

It seems that it would be easier to visit Dangriga from Hopkins - which could be an option as the base for our second leg of the trip. But my wife would really like to stay on Caye Caulker, so I'm trying to satisfy her wish

Thanks again for your advice and speedy replies!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM

If you go with your original plan it will look like this: long travel day to Belize and Cayo, long travel day to Tikal and back, long travel day to Placencia, long travel day to Dangriga and back, long travel day to Caye Caulker, 2 days to explore and relax, long travel day home.

With my earlier suggestion you'd have a long travel day to Belize and Cayo, explore the area for 1 or 2 days - town, jungle, hikingk, canoing, caving?, 2 hour trip to Tikal with time to explore in the cooler evening and morning hours when there's hardly anyone there and the wildlife is abundant, long travel day to Caye Caulker, 2 or 3 days to explore and relax, long travel day home.

I continue to think you're making a mistake to try to hit 2 beach areas (plus Cayo, plus Tikal) in just a week. You'll be exhausted and won't really get a feel for the places you stay. Hopkins is also a Garifuna village, so if you stay there instead of Caulker there's no need to go to Dangriga except for a flight back to connect with your international flight IMO.

One advantage of Caulker is its easy access to the airport. From Hopkins it would likely be a $50 taxi ride to the Dangriga airport plus a more expensive flight.

Happy planning and have a great time, whatever you decide!