Need help PLEASE! with plans for first night in CR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We land in SJ around 1pm and are worried about being able to make the drive to Monteverde before dark. Anyone know of a cool place to spend the night between San Jose and Monteverde? Someplace worth spending the late afternoon/evening. We don't want to regret not rushing on to Monteverde that first night. Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:19 PM

I guess around the Arenal Volcano area in one of the many reosrt places.

Like Tabacon Hot Springs.
Even in the town of La Fortuna

You did not say how long you were in Costa Rica or where you are going after Monteverde ?

If I knew that , then perhaps I would tell you to stay at the Peace Lodge and take in La Paz Waterfall and Gardens as well as Psoas Volcano.

Percy
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:42 AM

We stayed at the Orquideas Inn for the first night & thought it was great. It's in Alajuela & is only supposed to be a few miles from the airport. (We got lost so it took a while). We had been up since 2 am for our flight & this was a perfect place to just relax & talk with others about our itinerary. They have a restauarant & the food was great. Friendly & helpful staff..giving us directions. After we arrived in Monteverde we were very glad we didn't try to make it there in the first day. The drive was a challenge to say the least. (but fun!) www.orquideasinn.com
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Iza

I would recommend either Xandari or Vista del Valle. We usually spend our first and last night in CR at one of those hotels.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice! I have looked at the hotels you all mentioned and they look great. But I was also wondering if there are nice places to stay at more of the midpoint on the drive to Monteverde, not as close to the airport. We'll be spending 2-3 nights in Monteverde and 5-6 nights just south of Tamarindo. Can't wait!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:34 AM

That is why I recommended you staying your first night around the Arenal area
becaused it sounded to me like you were anxious to "hit the road."

If you arrive at 1 Pm and clear customs and pick up your rental vehicle( I am assuming you are going to drive) ,then you will have plenty of time to get to Arenal before dark.

Then the next day , it is just driving around Arenal Lake , reaching Tilaran and then its on to Monetverde (on a horrible road , hope there is no rain or drizzle !!)
Percy
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Check out the Poas Volcano Lodge.
You may have good weather and you can try to see the crater, if not visit the closeby Waterfall Gardens La Paz, but remmember national parks and most atractions shut down by 4.00pm.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:42 AM

It's a long drive in terms of time from Arenal to Monteverde. Not much difference in time to drive from Arenal to Monteverde as from SJ to Monteverde.

If you get your rental car by 2 PM and have clear directions to Monteverde, you should be able to make it by dark. But there would be no allowance for big traffic tie-ups and such.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:53 AM
koa

I would suggest Orquideas inn. Get some rest, have their good breakfast, then hit it to Monteverde. You dont want to rush driving around CR. Its easy to get lost and traffic tie ups can happen.