Need advice for first time in CR!

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for first time in CR!

Hello all! I am planning an August honeymoon in CR & we are so excited! I have a few general questions about where to start & I could use your advice...

First, I've done a lot of research & we've narrowed down where we want to go & what we want to do. We're planning on 11 days...
-Surfing & beach time in Tamarindo
-Monteverde cloud forest tour. Also plan on a night hike, sky trek canopy & hanging bridge tour.
-Van/boat/van to La Fortuna & tour Arenal Volcano at dusk. Relax in Tabacon. Morning horseride to Falls.
-Manuel Antonio relax time. White water rafting & tour MA National Park.

I've spoken with a local tour company & they gave me an itinerary including all of the above, plus private ground & domestic flight transfers, lodging & all breakfasts for under 1k each.

But I also like the idea of having some freedom to travel on our own & do as we please. I just don't know how to arrange it all. I know I'd have to reserve stuff ahead of time, b/c my fiance will freak otherwise. I think it would be our compromise to not go with a tour & drive ourselves.

So how do I plan such a trip on my own? What sites are the best resources for maps, rental cars, & hotel info? What about rental cars & booking activities (who do I go through)? Would you advise we just stick with the tour company? Any lodging (good deals, but still great for honeymooners), & restaurant advice? I'm just kind of in a frenzy b/c I can take the easy way & let someone else do it, or plan it all myself & enjoy the adventure! Advice? Thanks a ton!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:47 PM

It would depend on the hotels you are booked into, but that price seems like a good price to include all your transfers. it would cost you a lot more to do it yourself I am almost certain. If you have a few days in one area, I think it would be easier to rent a car for a day or so when you want one. Plus you would have to do a lot of driving especially to arenal, and that can be tricky. I say let the pros get you there and enjoy yourself. just being able to relax and enjoy the scenery while going from place to place alone should be worth it. You will see once you get here, the roads are not well marked, and not in good shape, as well they can be treacherous going through the mountains from San Jose to Monteverde, then on to Arenal. I'd hate to see your honeymoon turn out to be very stressful because you get lost, or have to deal with the driving here. Have fun, Walt
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

I think that was my concern...the hotels. Everyone suggests such nice sounding places & I haven't seen any info on the places we're staying. Can anyone give me feedback on these places?

-San Jose: Hotel Don Carlos (first & last nights)
-Tamarindo: Hotel El Milagro (2 nights)
-Monteverde: Hotel Cabanas Los Pinos (2 nights)
-Arenal: Hotel Lavas Tacotal (2 nights)
-Manuel Antonio: Hotel La Colina (2 nights)

I think most of these are nice, but more budget places. I want to say a few are bungalow style rooms, but some don't have AC. Will that be a big concern in August? Should we make sure we have AC?

Can anyone suggest alternative hotels that aren't too expensive? Also, if we want to splurge in one place, where should we spend the extra money & what hotel? I'm thinking in Arenal, but not sure...

Walt: Thanks for your advice. I think its just hard to work with finalized itineraries b/c I feel like I'm giving up a lot of freedom. But I think it might be worth it to be able to relax for the honeymoon. Thanks again!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:37 PM

I was in the same pickle as you- I wanted confirmed arrangements, yet did not want to use a tour agency. I did a lot of searching on this board (many thanks to Iza & Suzie 2) I found Costa Rica Vacations via this board www.vacationscostarica.com and they were very helpful and patient in planning my vacation. I told them which hotels, which areas, which car I wanted to rent, and they took care of all the reservations. We leave in 3 weeks for Arenal (Montana del fuego), Monteverde (Sapo Dorado), Tamarindo (El Milagro), & one night in San Jose (Xandari).
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:54 PM

Dear tobewed,
My name is Neta and I have been living in Costa Rica for almost 3 years.
Since you have already done your homework, there is not much to add. From the list of hotels you have listed, I have only personally been to Lavas Tacotal. It?s not a bad hotel, but there are better ones in Arenal, and more or less for the same budget. Arenal Paraiso is very nice, and even Los Lagos (which is just a little bit run down) is better and has good service and beautiful gardens.
As winegirl mentioned, http://www.vacationscostarica.com/ are very good. I personally know many of the people who work there, and I recommend them.
Let me know if you need any more advicee or help. Feel free to write to my email directly.
Pura Vida
Neta
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:37 PM

Hotel Don Carlos, a very popular,very busy place. Kind of fun but if you get one of the atrium rooms you will be miserable. Do specify a quiet room. The rooms are nothing fancy but there is something special about the Don Carlos. Many weddings are held there. They might have a honeymoon suite but can't say for sure. They have a little cafe in the center with an espresso bar and they have a limited menu for other types of food. They have wonderful desserts. A very good gift shop also.
Hotel Lavas Tacotal-have considered this as a possibility but haven't stayed yet. You might also want to look at Arenal Country Inn. Arenal Paraiso has standard cabins that are comparably priced or deluxe for just slightly more. For wonderful views (weather permitting), El Novillo is a good place to eat with seating outdoors.
If you are nervous, by all means contact a tour company. Many of them allow you to design a custom trip and they just help with the arrangements right down to arranging for a car rental if that is what you want. I frequently do a combo, having someone help with part of our trip and I do the rest.
As far as the actual day tours go, most hotels have someone who can help you set them up when you get there.