Need Help Planning 10-Day Trip To Belize

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Planning 10-Day Trip To Belize

I am considering planning a 10-day trip to Belize sometime this summer between June to August, 2003. I need help getting inexpensive airfare from NYC and Las Vegas, picking hotel and accomodations, and selecting scuba dive operators and other activities. Are there any Belize experts out there who can help me? Thanks.

Jay
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Use orbitz.com for the best flights, their new rez. for 2 days b4 and after is great for great deals. Belize: Break it up into 2 segments. Go inland to go caving (harmless but fun) try jungle reef. then take a puddle plane(great scenic)to a. placencia for tranquility and untouched and fabulous diving (roberts grove) or b. caye caulker with island life and rastas(iguana hotel) and for diving with a great master and hotel try the tides and patoho the owner/master. You will have a great time been there twice for a few months. Off to corn island to write an article! My travel agency I use with flexibility and great pricing from NYC is capricornleisure.net or com.ask for jennie and say sue and steve willcox sent you.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:32 AM
GP

Hi Jay
I went to Belize a few years back . Had a great time and some day will return. Here are some links to places you can ask questions.
Lan Sluder (hi Lan) is alway full of information check out his web site
at Belize First!
http://www.belizefirst.com/

Here are some belize boards based in Belize (I think)
http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Have fun
GP
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kindredspirits and GP! I've already written to Lan Sluder. He was helpful and I've been on rodales.com. Rodales says that Ambergris and the Cayes and the Atolls are the best spots for scuba diving. Do you agree?

What kind of costs can I expect?

Please give me more! Thanks!

Jay
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:46 PM

The atolls and a few of the lodges that are located out there and on adjacent small islands offer the easiest access to the best diving but they are somewhat isolated and there's little to do other than dive and snorkel. You can easily get dive trips from Placencia, Ambergris and Cayea Caulker. I chose Caye Caulker because of its laid back reputation and was very pleased. It's low key but has just enough of a selection of eating spots and places to hang out that one needn't get bored too quickly. CC is also a bit shorter boat ride to the dive sites than Placencia or Ambergris. Lots of dive services to choose from - most are decent and prices are similar from one to the next. I chose Belize Diving Services on CC and was very pleased with my expereince - very professionally run operation and really nice people. I think that other than them on CC I would suggest Frenchie's. If diving is the sole focus of the trip you'll get more dive time for the money at one of the dive oriented lodges like Manta Lodge. I met a copuple who spent a week there and said it was the best diving they'd ever done. Nice rooms, very good meal, three dives per day and all the Belizian beer and/or local rum drinks you wanted... all for one price.

I nosed around on Expedia, Travelocity etc unti I found a time period that seemed a bit cheaper for Belize airfare and then locked in. I went at thje end of May and stayed utnil about June 9th. Paid about $435 from Newark. met other folks on the trip who had gotten prices ranging from the mid 300's to the high 400's including some from midwestern and California locations. Prices seem to be a bit higher this year but deals are still out there.

let us know more about your needs, expectations and price range in lodging and more thoughts are sure to be forthcoming.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Owen,

Thanks for all your help. I will be traveling with one other person. I'm predominantly looking for great diving, but I also want great land adventures (without sacrificing the diving.) As much as I would like to experience local food, culture, and night life (and I am interested in experiencing it all), in the past, my experience has been that I was so tuckered from diving and other activities, that I was too tired for nightlife, exploring, and searching for the best and most interesting restaurants, etc.

I would much prefer comfort (including A/C), convenience, proximity to the beach, vistas, swim-up bar, and all-inclusives are okay.

Match Anthony's Key (in Roatan) for value and that's what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Jay
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:12 AM

We used Rum Point inn for our diving and it can be all inclusive as well. They pay attention to you and you will find that you may travel more by boat to reach the dive spot but you will not be disapointed. I believe that it was the best diving we have done and untouched and unpolluted-pristine. You may also try turneffe island for proximity to dive sites and all inclusivness. They are remote, so expect to dive, fish, eat, sleep and relax. Pricey when you look at it but from what we have heard, well worth the money. We will be trying in a few years. Let us know if you decide!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

"Pricey" is not a good word for me. I would like a scuba vacation with maybe a 3-day live-aboard to experience the very best diving, and then do some other diving closer to shore, with 2 or 3 land activities, such as caving, horseback riding, and seeing Mayan ruins (in addition to a little shopping -- I like to buy some artwork at the various travel locations I visit.) Any suggestions?

Jay