Need help from the C.R. gurus! :-)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shillmac, Tully, Volcanogirl and others...

I could NOT resist buying a cheap ticket to CR last weekend out of Atlanta and decided to make it a 3-week trip (June 10 - July 2). Have I lost my mind??

Don't have any itinerary set up except for landing at SJO. What would ya'll do for 3 weeks if you needed to be on a limited budget?? I spent quite a bit of money back in December for 12 days in Alajuela, Arenal, and Monteverde but that probably was because I did a solo trip which is what I'm doing again. 8-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...oh, and I don't want to rent a car.

Thanks a bunch!
Leigh
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM

ME? I'd spend a few nights ($50) at Hotel Brasilito near Playa Flamingo.

I'd also spend a few nights in Puerto Viejo, say Azania Bungalows or even more budget, but great reviews: Case Verde in Puerto Viejo.

If you check the Casa Turire website, they used to offer a wonderful green season special, excellent value. This is in a pretty area near Turrialba and would work nicely with the Puerto Viejo leg.

I'd manage a few days at Arenal (La Pradera is reasonable) or Gringo Pete's hostel in town, then head up to La Carolina, $55 per day all-inclusive, or used to be. Very out of the way, remote, lovely people.

Hope this gives you a few ideas!
Sounds like fun!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM

Forgot to mention order, but guess you can put that together: For this "dream budget vacation" I'm suggesting (LOL!) you'd start at Hotel Brasilito, then La Carolina, Arenal, Puerto Viejo, Casa Turire, back to SJO. You could also work in something in the La Selva area between Arenal and Puerto Viejo. We liked La Quinta. . .
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM

How budget is budget? What I like to do is scale back in some areas so I can splurge in others. Like last year I stayed at Selva Verde, about 2 hours from SJO, ran about $80 per night including food. Not luxe digs or gourmet food of course but bungalow was clean, wonderfully kept place, many things to see etc. You could also look into a place like Bosque de Paz, about 90 minutes from SJO, it's about $125 per night there, again food included. Then there are plenty of low key beaches to hit in the NW, you could arrange getting there to most of them with Interbus. Then have a little splurge try to get one of the 'locos' fares on Nature Air down to Puerto Jiminez and look at the many different options there. Of course Bosque del Cabo is my first suggestion but it probably doesn't come under budget (but you've saved so much money in your other places right? ) but there are many other places nearby that are a little less. Well that's a start....
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM

Hi, Leigh - you might consider throwing in Manuel Antonio if you don't want to rent a car; it's so easy to get around there, and you have the beautiful national park and great beach, lots of restaurants. It's great if you like a developed area, and there are affordable places to stay.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Girls...I'd knew ya'll come through in a pinch.

BIG question --> Is there a beach on the Pacific side that you can swim in easily and doesn't have what they call riptides??? I've made three friends here in Alajuela and I'm in charge of planning a mystery trip for 3 days on that coast or the Caribbean side.

Personally I would like some waves to jump up and paddle over the top before breaking. If there is such a place to visit we are willing to pay for a hotel or something on the beach that is no more than $200.00 a night for 3 nights.

Thank you so much for helping me out...I do have a place to stay here in Alajuela and will pay 20.00 a night to hang out with my new middle-aged girlfriends...woohoooo!

Will any of you be here in June??

Again thanks!
Leigh
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM

Not until July, stl, would love to meet you and your friends!

Manuel Antonio, 2nd beach inside the park, is great for swimming. Beautiful, calm waters.

Playa Hermosa, also calm, a horseshoe bay.

Playa Flamingo, a little more wave action, but no riptides.

. . .just to name a few!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Wowww...I can't believe this much time has passed since the last post Shillmac! As of this weekend, my mom (75), a fellow colleague and her daughter have flight tickets for a week in CR...June 10-17. They'll fly back and leave me in CR for 2 more weeks!

At any rate, I will check out the Hotel Brasilito since I want some waves to swim in. Someone mentioned Sugar Beach?? Anybody ever heard of that one???

Since this trip is just 7 days, I would like to do the Lost Iguana again and the Pacific Coast. What do you suggest as far as travel arrangments. Landing in SJO and we can take the Interbus to Arenal but then what if we decide on Playa Flamigo or BdC???

Thanks,
Leigh