Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

I'm still having a hard time deciding CR itinerary -- please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so my dates are set - May 19-June 2nd. Assuming I need 1 night at each end in San Jose that leaves me with 12 nights.

I've been planning on Arenal (Arenal Lodge), Manuel Antonio (Costa Verde), Osa (Bosque or Iquana). But now I'm contemplating the Azania Bungalows near Puerta Viejo (checking on availability now) instad of going to MA. Is it a mistake missing MA 1st time to CR? PV sounds less touristy, which is more my vibe. I am travelling with myself and my 10 year old daughter and most people seem to really like Arenal for kids.

Next, comes finalizing how many nights in each place. Since everybody raves about Osa, and it looks absolutely fabulous to me, I could probably squeeze out enough $ to spend 5 nights there, 3 in PV and 4 in Arenal. Or, a different combination of nights in each place...? I don't really want to add another destination.

For the order I'm thinking PV, Arenal, Osa would be best. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM

Osa is wonderful
I like Puerto Viejo, pot smoking in bars is the norm so if youre a Nancy Reagan follwer you might find it a bit too 'relaxed' -but Cahuita is nicer:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/cahuita/home/index.html

Its a bit of a trek from coast to coast, looks easy on the map, but it aint!
Manuel Antonio is 'touristy' but in a good sense, nice hotels, restaurants, beautiful sunsets and only a few hours drive from SJ.
Arenal is good for kids, make sure you do a day trip to Cano Negro Reserve, lots of wildlife to see floating down the river:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM

We love Puerto Viejo (better than Cahuita, but that's just us--no offense GC!) and think you would enjoy Azania bungalows--they are beautiful.

Visiting there first would be the way to go--it's about a 4 hour drive. Then back to Arenal around 6 hours. 3 nights there would be plenty, 4 nights Arenal, 5 on the Osa. . .sounds perfect. No, you absolutely won't be missing anything by not going to Manuel Antonio first. We did it on our 4th or 5th trip! All of it is good and beautiful and fun-- do what you want and the rest will be waiting for you when you go back!

Just a short distance from Azania Bungalows (south) is La Pecora Nera--great food! If you end up in that area, let me know. .I can put you in touch with a fabulous (and very reasonably priced) guide---Abel Bustamante. He lives in Manzanillo (great little town, end of the road south of PV)--he will show you whatever you want to see! He will take you into primary forest and really open your eyes to everything around you! I go with him everytime we are there--fantastic guy--wonderful family man. He should have been a teacher! You and your daughter would have a great time. This is going to be so educational for her! Enjoy!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Guanacaste -- Weeeeellll, since my parents were hippies... Yes, for sure we'll do Cano Negro and I've scoped out a couple of hands on wildlife refuges too. I'm a TOTAL animal person. My mom used to tell me I cared more for animals than human beings. I'm not sure I agree with that, but they have a certain way about them

shillmac -- Thanks for the restaurant and I may be in touch with you about your guide. Maybe you can tell me a little about what you did with him?

So, do I HAVE to rent a car? I'm scared! Is there public transport that will take me from SJ to PV and from PV to Arenal and from Arenal to SJ? Azania said they could send a shuttle to SJ, but I didn't ask how much cause I'd rather not spend a lot on transportation. I'll need to compare costs for transport for PV vs MA I guess. I'm VERY excited for my daughter to explore and yes, she'll miss school for 2 weeks, but you're right, what a learning experience!

Thanks to you both!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM

Abel Bustamante is his name. He will do whatever you want. He and I always go birding along the main road early in the a.m., but then we go off the road into primary forest and he spots all kinds of things. The conversation is fun--it's clear that he is a friend to everyone in that area. Very intelligent, personable guy, good English. He was building a new home last July and so proud--2 stories on the main road outside Manzanillo. He does a little real estate as well.
He can take you out to just do some wildlife viewing if you're not interested in birds particularly--or go further down into the Refuge (Gandoca/Manzanillo), or go dolphin watching. . .whatever you want. He does it all. You could contact him and discuss what you might enjoy--he could give you some ideas.

[email protected]
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac. I will contact him and check it out.

Any suggestions for easiest+economical+fast(ha!) methods of transport to/from these destinations?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM

Interbus

let the driver worry about the roads!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Guanacaste --

So I would take the interbus from SJ to Manzanilla and then taxi to PV?

Then from Manzanilla to Fortuna and taxi to Arenal?

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I see. Interbus isn't really like a bus station. They actually have hotel pick-up's and drop-off's.

So, I assume if your hotel isn't on the list you just have to be there at the designated time...

You'd think I'd never travelled before. But I've actually planned independent trips for 2 Europe and 2 Asia trips so far (the the help of Fodorites). It's just that every country is so different!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM

the shuttle buses pick you up at the hotel- your hotel will book it for you- and take u to your next hotel.
they dont run to Manzanillo direct.
youre better off stoppinmg in PV or Cahuita and then take the local bus or even taxi if theres more than 1 of you down the coast to Manzanillo.

a little preparation makes for a better trip i think
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Please, please don't shun me! I'm really not a fickle person, I just have a hard time making up my mind.

But now, I have some reservations and actually have to commit/pay, so please take one (last?) look. I'm pretty happy with it, but then again, this is our first time to CR. So, bring in the experts!

May 19 (1/n) - Downtown (Hotel Le Bergerac or the like, need to be somewhere Interbus picks up for trip to Puerto Viejo next morn)

May 20-23 (4/n) - Puerto Viejo - Banaza Azul (Yep, gotta balance the budget with the Osa and Peace Lodge). Plus, the owners seem fun!

May 24-27 (4/n) - Arenal (Volcano Inn Lodge or somewhere cheaper, but with a pool?)

May 28-29 (2/n) - Central Valley - Peace Lodge (Yeah, just thought I'd throw that in there even though I haven't mentioned it before.)

May 30-June 2 (4/n) Osa - Bosque del Cabo

June 3rd (1/n) - SJO airport area - maybe El Cafetal, Colinas Del Sol, Orchideas...not sure yet.

June 4th - fly home

I think there will be plenty of things and a good variety to do in each of these areas for the time allowed, don't you think?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:16 PM

Looks good.
Do get to Punta Uva 6kms south of PV. A beautiful area with more mellow swimming if the sea is rough.

Have a wonderful journey!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks earthtraveler - I think adding an extra day in PV (I originally had 3) will allow us to better explore the areas north and south, such as Punta Uva. I think we can just get there by bicycles...?

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM

Yes, bicycles.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM

For Arenal, look at Arenal Springs Resort. We were there in August. I don't remember how much we paid, but they have a website. Unobstructed views of Arenal, two pools, good open air restaurant, duplex cabinas with lawns and porches and rocking chairs. This is quite new, so not mentioned very often. We were visiting our daughter, who lives in Costa Rica, and she chose this hotel.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM

Sounds like a great time to me! Have fun!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

jt - True. I haven't heard of Arenal Springs Resort. I will check that out tonight, sounds great! Thanks for the tip!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac. I'm looking into the Hotel Villa Bonita that you mention on another thread (for the "near the airport" stay). It looks pretty good!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM

That makes me happy--everyone should have the opportunity to meet Humberto and Carmen--they so embody the Tico friendliness and hospitality. Great ambassadors for their country!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi shillmac-Just heard back today from Carmen and they have availibility. Looks like the plans are smoothing out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -