Need Cusco hotel recommendation under 100 US dollars

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need Cusco hotel recommendation under 100 US dollars. (Less is better!)
I would love to stay at Hotel Monasterio but it is simply not in my budget.
Can you recommend a great stay?
Centrally located, friendly, clean, comfortable, would love a balcony...
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:59 AM

We thought Casa de Campo was fabulous. Rooms are small, but clean and interesting. We had a fantastic view from the corner window in our shower! They have lots of terraces and places to sit outside and and a great "breakfast" room. It's on the edge of town, however, and the uphill walk can be rough if you haven't adjusted to the altitude. We even had trouble taking the stairs to our room the first night- but the view was worth it. We also stayed at the Amaru, near the square. The rooms there vary in size and quality. We noticed a slight smell of sewer gas in one room. But you can't beat the location and price. They also have a lovely courtyard. Enjoy your trip, Peru is wonderful!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:23 AM

You might try Los Ninos Hotel which is located 3 blocks from the central plaza. $12 for single with shared bath, $24 for double with private bath. Clean room, friendly stuff, electronic heater. No balcony though.

The hotel is owned by a Dutch couple. All the profits go to their "help local street children" program. It is for real. The couple adopted some children as their own and currently, the hotel provides one meal everyday for 240 poor local kids. The hotel is very popular among Dutch travellers. I met a couple in Bolivia who were heading to Cusco. They brought stuff for the children from home and they did't even know the owner.

I stayed there. Chances to meet many insteresting travellers coming and going. But in high season, you may need to book your room way in advance.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM

The twice I have been to Cuzco I have stayed in one of the private hotels run by a husband and wife team which I have been more than happy with.
Great bathrooms, good sized rooms with TV, great access to the centre, a kitchen/dining room area where you can make your own coffee and tea whenever you want but breakfast is provided anyway.
Carlos and his wife run a Travel Agency next door and I have used them for travel to other areas of South America without going to Cuszo and I cannot fault them. The cost is minimal but the service is great. Their daughter also lives in Lima and does the travel consulting from there too and if needed will meet you at the airport and have accommodation arranged for you there before your ongoing trip to Cuzco.
The website is www.losaticos.com and they have 2 locations to choose from. I stayed at the Pardo the first time and for $25 I had a nice large room with a large single bed and a double bed which was very comfortable. With the travel agency next door all your tours can be arranged without any trouble, Carlos speaks good English, is very knowledgeable about the Inca history as his ancesters were Inca, they pick you up from the airport, and finally on the other side of the hotel there is an internet place which costs you about 10 cents for 1 hour.
Enjoy Cuszo as its a special place.
Just as an aside: when I was last in Peru in May I had had all my travel arranged by Carlos and I was just about to depart from Arequipa to Puna when a notice came through from the Embassy that travel to Puna was not recommended. As I had only hours to change things I phoned Carlos who, within 1 hour, had me on a different route, extending my stay in Arequipa and flying to my original destination via Cuszo with any loss of money or time. He met me at the airport in Cuszo because I had only 1/2 hour to catch my International flight connection and made sure that I got the connection to La Paz and further I ended up in First Class from his efforts. I think he is a person who goes the extra mile for his clients and it is for this reason that I have written this on this site in the hope that others can benefit from his family companies services.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM

PS I believe I found our Cusco Hotels from a website called bed24...
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:25 PM

PSS Oops, make that www.bed42.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I stayed here last September. Very clean, cozy, 24 hour security, helpful friendly staff, located in the heart of San Blas. Great views from the room but no balcony.

http://www.orquidea.net/page5.html
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses! I have sent out requests to check availability to several hotels, and am keeping my fingers crossed one will come through. (I'm leaving on September 1st, so am making plans a little later than I would have liked.)
Would still love to get more recommendations in case the others don't work out...
Marian
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:51 AM

I didn't realize there were even hotels in Cusco that cost $100 a night. If you didn't find anything yet, pick up a lonely planet guide book for Peru. Lots of options there.

~gnr~