Search

Muyuna Lodge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muyuna Lodge

Two of us (30-somethings) are considering a trip to Iquitos and to the Muyuna lodge. Has anyone stayed there? Any advice you would share?

In the past, I've seen numberous references to Explorama lodges, but I've never seen any for Muyuna or the smaller lodges.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

JES
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM

I am also considering the Muyuna Lodge. Has anyone been there lately?

They have offered to pay for my flights to and from Iquitos. Is this normal and what is the best way to pay for them?

Thank you,
Christie
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 03:19 AM

Andeantravelweb.com

Best Iquitos info

Very dodgy never wire money always pay with CC

Lots of rain

Free flight offers are usually scams

Many Tripadvertizer reviews are fake posted by the owners under fake OP

Explorama.com best

Otorongoexpeditions.com usually best value

Starperu.com. peruvianairlines.pe offer cheap flights do not use LAN $178 tourist surcharge

Inkanatura.com Manu better for wildlife less hassle for most from Cusco
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 09:59 AM

We just came back for a "TGIF" (3 days $285) stay at Explorama lodge. Had a wonderful time. It included transport from Iquitos.

I'm guessing if they include your airfare, you're going to be on the cheapest flight. You'll want to Have all the details before you commit. Definitely don't wire money; use a credit card or pay on arrival.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Amazonia Expeditions (www.perujungle.com) is the lodge I used around Iquitos. One thing I like about them is the emphasis on safe food preparation, and they have good relations with the nearby Ribereño village, El Chino. They have two lodges, one on a blackwater stretch of the Tahuayo. They assign you an individual guide, but they will try to group you with others on excursions.

Check your own flights for deciding if the included airfare is a bargain. Starperu, Peruvian Airlines and LAN all fly the Lima-Iquitos route. Star is probably going to be the least expensive, and they do have a morning flight Lima to Iquitos. It's best to book the first flight to Iquitos and the last flight back so that you have maximum time in the jungle. Often the lodge will not transfer you between Iquitos and the lodge in the afternoon due to hazards on the Amazon.

When you read "Tripadvertizer" reviews I suggest not reading the 5-star reviews that are one-of's. Peru's TA reviews are notoriously bad for fluffing and burying bad reviews with lots of 5-star followup postings.