Costa Rica with a 5 year old boy for the first time

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica with a 5 year old boy for the first time

Hello,

We are planning to visit CR in December for the first time and only have 5 days. Where would you recommend that we start - Pacific vs Caribean coast? and thing to do with a 5 year old?

any family-friendly hotel recommendation? Thank you.

caroline
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Manuel Antonio is really popular with young families because it's easy, has lots of hotel and restaurant choices, has the beach, and also has easy access to fairly tame wildlife. Check out Tulemar Bungalows/Buena Vista Villas and Si Como No to see if those interest you.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 03:45 AM

Hotelvillacaletas.com

My fav pretty close to airport on Pacific coast

Closest nicest coast hotel with views 2 forever

Tulemar.com

Costaverde.com

Nice at the park trip advisor.com/members/natureguide
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response. We will check them out. How about any hotel?

Also is 5 year old too young to take to CR?

caroline
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM

No, it's not too young. I mentioned a few hotels in my post up above, and so did gwo.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM

If you go to Manual Antonio, I second the Tulemar Bungelows recommendation. It's nice because they have their own private beach, even with sand toys! If you head to Arenal, Los Lagos is a great family friendly hotel with a lot for kids to see and do. Several pools, a butterfly exhibit, crocodiles etc. Peace Lodge will have a lot for a 5 year old as well and that's a bit more centrally located.

5 years old is definitely not too young!
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM

I liked Arenas del Mar, also has a little beach of their own, or they can shuttle you by golf cart to the south end of the big Playa Espadilla, and you can walk all the way to Manuel Antonio. You have a choice of room locations at the top of the hill or near the beach. I liked being near the beach.

Really friendly staff and lots of wildlife on site.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM

I have lived for five years in Costa Rica. Being honest, you have to be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on your child. Many beaches are dangerous and a lot of people drown each year, especially on the pacific side. The Caribbean side is not a place to take a child, its dangerous and you most likely will get assaulted or even worse.
When in Costa Rica, "NEVER" be outside when it is dark with your child. Especially in the valley region of San Jose, Jaco, all the Easter side of the country. People do not walk the street when nightfall comes since criminals take to the streets.
I would say that when you decide to travel, look for a place near the airport or the town of Alajuela, there is no need to go into San Jose which is 20km away. From there, you can go to the rainforest (Monteverde). Many people with children visit that area, making it safer.
Manuel Antonio is not what they make it out to be, even though most people make reference to it. Too many tourists go there, so you do not have a real CR experience. Plus where a lot of tourists go, a lot of pick pockets.
Volcan Arenal would be nicer, you can get into the thermal waters and be close to the active volcano. This is located towards the northern part of the country. Some of the beaches in northern pacific side are good also, but once again, the rip tides are dangerous. Too many people drown.
Costa Rica is a nice country to experience, but it has changed a lot the past years, take it from someone who has lived there for five years. US demand for illicit drugs is destroying all the countries in Latin America. Drug lords are moving into the country to ship their products into the United States, so things are going straight downhill for this little country.
Keep safe and listen to what locals tell you, there is a big difference between what the government says and wants tourists to believe and what the locals will tell you.