Must See in South America

Jun 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Must See in South America

I am planning to go to Argentia for vacation, but I would like to also visit a second country on the same trip.

What do you consider the most must see country or place in South America outside Argentina?
Jun 24th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Torres del Paine (Chile)
Atacama Desert (Chile)
Easter Island (Chile)
Macchu Pichu (Peru)
Titikaka Lake (Peru-Bolivia)
Galapagos (Ecuador)
Amazonas (Brasil)
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. Which on the list do you think would be the easiest to get to from Buenos Aries (sp?)?
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Do you like nature?

If so, since you are already that far south, I'd go to Torres del Paine. It would be a great compliment to a big city like Buenos Aires. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in my life. Plus, you can see the penguins outside Puntas Arenas on your way to or from the park.

If your budget is high, then stay at Explora. It's a relatively small (100 rooms or less) all-inclusive lodge with excellent guides and wonderful food. If Explora is not within your budget, do a search here for alternatives. There's been some good recos over the past few months.

Don't worry if you aren't a strong hiker. There were two 80-year old ladies on their second visit when we were there.

If you do decide to go, post back and I'll give you some suggestions on what to pack.
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:55 AM

South America is huge and there are lots of great places to see. Where will you be in Argentina and how long is your trip? I would rank Iguazu Falls as a definite must see... it's in Argentina, but you can slip across the border to Brazil to view it from the other side too. If you'll be in BA, it's very easy to get over to Uruguay for a few days. Rio is a beautiful city, and a short flight from BA.

Many other beautiful things to see in different parts of Argentina, Chile, Peru, Brazil, etc... Depends on your interests (cities, hiking, adventure, history, etc?) and your time and budget. Perhaps providing a little more detail about your trip and your interests might allow the helpful folks on here to give some more specific advice.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM

If you do goto Torres del Paine, don't miss the
Torres del Paine National Park, cave of the prehistorical animal Milodon, lakes, blackforest and the magnificient Patagonia Glaciers.

- Granny Joan
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your posts. I don't have any specific itineray at this point. I was looking for suggestions that I would use to create the itinerary.

Our basic goal is to spend a total of 14 days including travel days. Spend a minimum of 5 days in BA, and then spend the rest in a combination of small towns, beaches and possibly one other city.

Ideally, I'd like to see whatever is reocommended in Argentina that we can travel to easily from BA. Then possibly fly to one other destination like Rio or Santiago. There are just so many choices that I am overwhelmed.

We are not really hikers or major outdoor types. More of enjoyers of beautiful outdoor scenery that doesn't require more than a little walking.

Inor
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM

I have no idea how this would fit in with your trip, but I'd consider Macchu Pichu a "must see" of South America.

If it were my two weeks, I'd just stay in Argentina and figure out maybe 3 places total to visit.
Jul 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM

hi, right, as you dont want to do too much walking id suggest rio, not too long a flight, with maybe a stop over in iguazu falls on way. There's a bit of walking to do at falls, to see everything but you can do it at your own pace. Wonderful views and scenery. Stay in one of park hotels.
Then Rio, stay in ipanema or copacabana, have a guide( with a car) or a day to show you main sites,then you can do rest yourselves - sugar loaf, botanical garden, markets, beaches , chill out, bit of shopping, etc. Rio is beautiful and a great place to people watch. Please let me know if I can help you with anything in Rio, if you decide to come.
Jul 7th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. Macchu Pichu and Rio are both of my list of places to look into visiting.

With Rio however, I am concerned about crime. Is there more crime there than in other tourist destinations? Or even than in major US cities?

inor
Jul 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM

hi,right, re Rio, it's really not that bad, it has its fair share of problems but in the main tourist area is not bad. Especially if you stay in ipanema area. You have to be careful, observant, aware, know where you're going, etc. No flashing of valuables, money etc, so get taxis at night if going far from hotel. Restaurants and clubs will always order a taxi back to your hotel for you. Some restaurants even provide the service free of charge ! There are problems going on in Rio,the police are cracking down on drugs and barons etc but this is not in the area where tourists stay and generally go for sightseeing.
Id recommend you get a good, local guide to show you around for a day to show you the main sites, give you tips on town, things to do, seee, places to eat etc. If you get a taxi from the hotel make sure its a registered airport one. You just have to take the same precautions you would in any big city but also have no valuables on show, and you should be absolutely fine. The city is beautiful, has lots on offer and the great majority of people are very friendly, in fact it was voted the friendliest city by newsweek a year or 2 ago. If you come you'll have a great time. Any more help, with recommendations etc please let me know.