Search

Moving to Nicaragua

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Nicaragua

Hello-- So, I know this is technically a travel site, but my partner has just been offered a "cannot refuse" job in Nicaragua and we are now considering moving there in the fall. The thing is, I know nothing of the country. Absolutely nothing. Can anyone recommend good sites for the country, even if they are tourist oriented to start? Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Here's a forum that might be a help:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...mp;STARTPAGE=1

If you click on the word "Worldguide" at the very top you can search the Thorntree information about Nicaragua as a starting point.

Also, I'd get a guidebook and start reading; most guidebooks have a lot of cultural information in addition to addressing lodging, transportation, etc. Here's a link to a list of "Nicaragua guides" (I did an amazon.com search):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...10&Go.y=10

The Footprint is the newest followed by Josh Berman's Moon Handbook (he's received awards recently for his new Belize guide).

What an exciting life change! Happy trails!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM

For some reason the amazon link isn't all "live", so you'll have to cut and paste it; if that doesn't work you could just go to amazon.com and search for "Nicaragua guide" like I did.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Try "Living & Investing in the New Nicaragua," by Tim Rogers. It's new as of this past December and is available on Amazon. Tim is the editor/reporter for The Nica Times, the edition of Costa Rica's The Tico Times that's published there.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

This is great. Thank you so much! Even just a few good, reliable books is really a helpful place to start...I wil keep you posted as things progress, and maybe in a year I will be providing such information for others
Thanks again!