Search

Monttezuma to SJO- How Long?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monttezuma to SJO- How Long?

Hi,

We have a 2.30 flight (Saturday, April 26th) from SJO to the states and will be driving from Montezuma. I am wondering if we are cutting it too close if we leave Montezuma early on departure day? The hotel says that it is 'no problem' but they may be overly optimistic regarding my driving and navigational capabilities. I had planned to leave on the earliest possible ferry. What do you all think? I fly by the seat of my pants but if we miss this flight, the husband may leave me in San Jose.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I think your hotel is a bit optimistic and those you spoke with probably don't have any experience with trying to get to the airport in time to catch a flight--nor are they likely to understand the urgency and the 3 hour recommended cushion time.

Certainly you would have no trouble getting to San Jose area by 2:30. But you really need to be AT the airport, ready to check in NO LATER than 12:00 noon. 11:30 would be better, just in case. Sounds like a long time, but sometimes you need that much time (every minute of it), and you can never predict when.

If you could be guaranteed a spot on the 6:00 or 6:30 ferry, then I would say "no problem". But an 8:00 or 8:30 ferry departure would be pushing it a little too close for comfort. Figure 1.5 hour for the ferry, a few minutes to get out of Puntarenas, and 2 hour to the airport. Locals will tell you 1.5 hour from Puntarenas to San Jose area, but we've never seemed to make it that quickly. We always count on 2 hours. We've been in a few "situations" on the international highway that have lengthened that drive to 3 or 4 hours as well. . .again, you can never be sure all will go smoothly.

I would hate to think of you ending a wonderful relaxing vacation with this stress on your last day! You should PROBABLY consider returning the night before.

Even if you get on a REALLY early ferry, gee, you'd have to leave Montezuma by 4:00 a.m. or so. It's about a 1 or 1.5 hour drive to Paquera. . .
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM

By the way, you need to figure in about 30-45 minutes to return your rental car if you have one.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 05:00 PM

As always, Shillmac's advice is spot on. To be on the safe side, you'd need to leave Montezuma around 4 a.m., as she says. That means you'd be driving the first 90 minutes before the sun comes up (about 5:30 a.m.). That's not a stretch of road I'd like to be driving in the dark.

I find people in Costa Rica grossly underestimate travel times. I know people who insist they can drive from San Jose to Liberia in two hours. No way is that possible.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac and Jeff for your answers- I kind of figured that there may be a bit of an issue- I can only imagine the horrors of missing that plane- we did that in Florida one year, exhausted and hot, family of four running through the airport, slipping on the floors, bags, hair and emotions went flying like candy in a pinata- funny now but not so at the time! We ended up staying overnight in NC and dear hubby was not amused.
If I shave off one night in Monteverde, I can keep the Montezuma part of the journey at 3 nights. Peace Lodge or any other suggestions? Again, appreciate your tips!!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:53 AM

If you are looking for a nice place to stay your final night. Vista del Valle Plantation Inn would be convenient coming from Montezuma to SJO. About 20 mins west of SJO.

Peace is obviously very nice, however not exactly on your way.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Some wise person (I think it was Shillmac, but forgive me if I should be crediting someone else) on this board once observed this: there are many places you can stay that last night before your flight home and not feel like your vacation has ended because you had to return to the city. Vista del Valle is one of them. The owner out there is always fond of saying that you're just as close to the airport as you would be if you stay in San Jose.

Rushing around that last morning, making that long drive that you'd have to start way before dawn, worrying if you're going to get to the airport on time, is no way to end a nice vacaction. Coming back the day before would be a far more leisurely option.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM

LOL Jeff, I don't remember saying that, but if I did, it was a good thing to say! Very true. . .

The only thing I would add is that, if you are going to pay the $$ to enjoy that last night bit of luxury, allow time to make the most of it! Arrive in the mid afternoon. . . .
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

The Vista Valle Plantation looks beautiful- is it worth the money? Reviews suggest it is but is there another hotel that isn't so pricey? I've blown my trip budget so I would prefer to keep it a bit cheaper but still want it to be a good send off! Any suggestions?? Again, thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM

In that case, I would look into Orquideas Inn--get there early in the p.m. and drive up and do the Doka Coffee Plantation tour. Visit the little towns of Grecia and Sarchi, and in the evening, hang out at the Marilyn Monroe bar. Great food there, we thought. . .excellent prices.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:08 AM

Agree totally with Orchideas! We stayed 3 nights here and very much enjoyed out time. We actually opted for a garden room, very economical, but totally fine with us.

We typically stay our final evening somewhere near the airport. I agree with that the rushing around on final day is just too hectic. We enjoy getting somewhere and sitting and talking with other travelers, some coming, some going. But everyone talking of what they have done or are planning to do. It just makes for a very relaxing, fun, final evening.

I suggested Vista, due to your consideration of Peace. Vista would be more convenient and a little less pricey. And yes it was worth it, certainly a place I want to return.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, dfarmer. I have started shuffling dates so we can leave Montezuma the day before our flight.Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without all the tips and suggestions in this forum! You guys are great!!!
I like both the Q Inn and Vista- Vista, however, looks spectacular and well worth the money. Perhaps if I stayed off the forums and finished some articles, I could afford the last night at Vista!!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM

We especially enjoyed Ilan Ilan accomodation at VdV. It was beautiful with an outdoor shower.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Kellery, yes, exactly the reason I have to tear myself from the forum from time to time. If I don't get some more houses sold, I won't be able to travel!!

But you are welcome. Myself, even after 4 trips to CR, I am constantly researching here for up to date, honest information. Over the years I have found this forum to supply the most accurate info.

Glad you have decided to make your way back toward the airport early. I really believe you will find this a more enjoyable way to end a wonderful trip.

Have fun!