Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Driving from SJO to Mal Pais- where to stay along the way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering driving from SJO- Mal Pais, but would like to stay somewhere overnight, accessible to Puntarenas to catch the ferry the next morning. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 09:37 AM

You can probably make this trip in one (long) day but my trusty Lonely Planet guide lists 2 places near the ferry terminal that you might consider:
Hotel Las Brisas (AC, TV, pool & rest)
Complejo Turistico Yadran (a top end place with everything you could imagine)
I won't mention the rates quoted in the book since its kind of old (2000)
Best if you check on your own.
I do recommend the ferry boat ride, its fun and you can see stuff you wont see anywhere else. The terminal is easy to find, just go and get in line. There are several trips daily. Good luck and have fun!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dncee11. I will look up the places you mentioned. Our flight gets into SJO at 12:30 pm. Do you think we could make it to Mal Pais by that evening if we drove straight through?
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 12:03 PM

It will take you at least an hour and a half to get out of the airport area on your way to MalPais. The drive to Puntarenas is about 2 hours. Some say 1.5, but for us it is closer to 2, and we don't poke around! The ferry takes a couple of hours by the time you wait in line. Then the road to MalPais is not in good condition for night driving. I agree you should probably stay somewhere along the way, and there isn't much selection on the direct path.

We did the same transfer a year ago, and this is what we came up with quite by accident: There is a delightful little hotel about 1.5 hour south and west of the airport. If you have a map, it is located west of Puriscal and very close to San Pablo de Turrubares. La Finca Que Ama. It is owned by a young Israeli couple who are the most gracious hosts you will ever find. They will serve you a fabulous gourmet meal complete with good wine and you can relax within a short amount of time into the Pura Vida of Costa Rica!

The rooms have very nice amenities: jacuzzi tub, DVD player/TV, mini bar (complimentary). The breakfast is a feast!

The next morning you will be about 1.5 hour from Puntarenas through Orotina. You can leave at 8:00 and be there in plenty of time for the 10:00 or 10:30 ferry to Paquera. You'll have to confirm the time. It is subject to change.

If this sounds good to you, contact Neta Talmor at:

[email protected].

The hotel's website is:

www.costaricafinca.com

We liked it there so much that we often go out of our way just to stay there again. We were there just a couple of weeks ago for 2 nights, just relaxing, spending time in Puriscal, visiting, etc. Great place.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac.
I have read about Finca Que Ama and it does sound lovely.
I would love to stay there, but now our plans have changed. We have a direct flight arriving at 8pm, so I think we will need to stay quite close to the airport so we can arrange to have our rental car dropped off in the AM. Our return flight leaves at 8:30am, so again I think we will need to be closer to the airport. We will have to save Neta's place for our next CR trip...already planning ahead.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Have a great time! There are plenty of choices near the airport. You'll enjoy MalPais!